The South African Sommeliers Association (SASA) is prominent in South Africa’s food and beverage industry. Established in 2010 by a group of aspiring individuals, SASA’s primary objective is to elevate and promote the art of wine service throughout the country. As a non-profit organization, SASA is dedicated to supporting professionals in the service industry and offering internationally recognized Sommelier certifications to its diverse membership.
In addition, SASA organizes competitions on a biennial basis to identify the most talented and promising young Sommeliers. An esteemed member of the globally renowned Association de la Sommellerie Internationale (ASI), SASA collaborates with Sommelier organizations worldwide, serving as an official representative of its esteemed members within South Africa.
SASA Perron X Bursary 2023
The South African Sommeliers Association (SASA), in collaboration with Perron X Heritage Collection, is extending an invitation to students to apply for their bursary programme.
This initiative aims to grant 100 bursaries for SASA’s Introductory Sommelier Certification program, offering aspiring young sommeliers essential skills and practical experience crucial for thriving in the wine industry. Furthermore, the programme strives to foster diversity within the South African wine market.
The collaborative initiative between SASA and Perron X plays a vital role in fostering the advancement of the South African wine industry. Traditionally, the sommelier profession has been associated with exclusivity and a lack of diversity.
By providing students from diverse backgrounds with the opportunity to pursue a career as aspiring sommeliers, SASA and Perron X aim to tackle this issue head-on. This inclusive approach not only enables representation from various communities but also introduces a fresh range of quality and service within the industry.
The bursary offered will fully cover the expenses associated with the examination. The selection process for eligible students will be based on criteria such as academic achievements, personal drive, and financial situation.
Candidates who successfully secure the sponsored certification will have their names published and featured on various media platforms. Additionally, they will be requested to submit a brief paragraph outlining the impact and value the scholarship award has had on their academic aspirations.
To ensure that your application is considered, the applicants need to meet the minimum entry requirements outlined below. Please carefully review these criteria to ensure that you fulfill all the necessary requirements before proceeding with your application.
- Your age must be at least 18 years
- You must possess a genuine passion for wine.
- You must be enthusiastic and committed to pursuing a career in the wine industry.
- You must provide consent for SASA and Perron X to publish your name in various media outlets.
- Students with financial needs are preferred, and candidates facing financial challenges will be given priority.
- You must demonstrate academic solid capabilities.
- Access to the internet is necessary for participation.
How to Apply?
You must submit your applications online at: SASA Perron X Bursary Application
To complete your application, it is imperative that you submit the following supporting document copies. Please note that failure to provide any of these items may lead to disqualification of your application:
- Letter of recommendation: This document must be obtained from an official at an Establishment that you have mentioned as part of your experience. Alternatively, it can be obtained from a friend, family member, or community leader. The letter should outline the reasons why they believe you should be selected for this award.
- Answers to 7 questions: After viewing the videos on the Vin de Classique Youtube channel (the link to which can be found on the application form), you must answer the seven questions provided. Please ensure that you complete this section, as it is crucial for the evaluation of your application.
The date of the application deadline is 30 June 2023. We strongly advise you to submit your application in a timely manner to ensure its proper consideration.
If you have any inquiries or require further information regarding the bursary programme, please feel free to directly contact the South African Sommeliers Association (SASA). They will be able to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.
SASA contact portal: https://www.sommeliers.org.za/contact
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/