Established in 1950 in Sasolburg, South Africa, Sasol Limited was the first oil-to-coal company in the country. Listed with the New York Stock Exchange, United Nations, and Johannesburg Stock Exchange, South Africa, Sasol Foundation has established itself globally for chemical and energy production.
Energy and Chemicals are the two markets that Sasol Foundation is focused upon. The Energy Business consists of Gas, Liquid Fuels, and Mining and is focused on providing mobility and energy solutions catering to the changing global trends. The Energy business also looks after the different avenues to boost cash generation and develop various renewable energy sources for the country. On the other hand, the Chemical business consists of Performance and Chemicals and aims to meet the growing needs of the clients and the growing demands of urbanized households.
Sasol seeks to bridge the scarcity of talent in the country. Voted as the Employer of Choice in the Energy and Chemical sector for five continuous years, Sasol has firmly established itself in the market. The bursary programs by Sasol have significantly helped in creating strategic and transformative changes in different sectors.
About Sasol Foundation Bursary
Sasol Foundation is inviting students to apply for Sasol Foundation Bursary for the upcoming academic year. The bursary will be provided under two categories, i.e., STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) and Non-STEM.
- Agriculture Science
- Computer Science
- Education (majoring in STEM subjects)
- Financial Science
- Mathematical Science
- Data Science
- Health Science
- Non-STEM: The Non-STEM bursaries are given to students coming from
- Sasol Khanyisa shareholders
- Children of Sasol employees
- Students from Sasol’s fence line communities (districts around Sasol Plants, operations, and municipalities)
Recipients for the Sasol Foundation Bursary will be selected based on criteria like acceptance to the University of Technology/ University, academic performance, citizenship, and household income. The bursary will cover accommodation expenses, books, a once-off computer, a calculator, meal allowance, pocket money, registration, and tuition fees. Selected students will also receive psycho-social support, including workshops, Employee Assistance Programmes (EAP), student discussion, and more.
Preference will be given to students who are financially challenged but academically talented. The bursary panel holds the power to cancel the candidature of any applicant at any time, significantly if the candidate’s academic performance worsens during that time.
Mentioned below are the criteria that a candidate should follow to be considered eligible for the bursary
- The candidate must be a South African citizen.
- The applicant must have completed the Matric examination or is currently pursuing the examination.
- The applicant must intend to pursue or pursue a full-time undergraduate degree in any of the fields mentioned at an esteemed and public University of Technology/ University in South Africa.
- For BSc/ BSc Eng/ BEng students, a minimum level 6 (70%) for Physical Science and Mathematics and level 5 (60%) for English (Home, First Additional, or Second Additional) must be achieved.
- For BEng Tech students, a minimum level 5 (60%) should be obtained for Physical Science, Mathematics, and English (Home/ First Additional and Second Additional)
- If studying, a minimum average of 60% in all modules is required with registration not less than in 5 modules and must not fail in the 2022 academic modules.
- The applying candidate must abide by the university requirements, and preference will be given to students that align with future capabilities.
- For students applying for Non-STEM bursaries, one must come from Sasol Khanyisa shareholders or be children of Sasol employees, or are from Sasol’s fence line communities (districts around Sasol Plants, operations, and municipalities)
How to Apply?
After login, you need to click on ‘South African Bursay Application‘ at the top and go to ‘Undergraduate Applications‘ and fill in all the required details.
Applications will be considered through the website of the foundation only. Hard copies or email applications will not be entertained.
The following documents need to be submitted during the bursary application.
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified copy of Grade 11 final results or certified copy of Matric certificate
- Certified copy of the most recent examination
- Proof of acceptance to the University or University of Technology on the institute’s letterhead
The closing date for Sasol Foundation Bursary is 21 August 2023. You can resume your application at any time, but the completed application form should be submitted before the closing date. Applications will only be considered up till the given date.
To solve any queries, contact Berlyne Rasool (Tel: 086 010 6235) at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the contact page at https://www.sasolbursaries.com/welcome/contact-us/
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/