About South African Weather Service (SAWS)
Today, climate, water, and weather-related problems are on the rise, hindering the sustainable growth of the African and South African regions. The SAWS (South African Weather Service) is a trusted partner when trying to resolve these environmental issues.
The SAWS is an authoritative government agency for climate and weather warnings across South Africa. It is a key member of the WMO (World Meteorological Organization) and it complies with international standards when it comes to climate and weather forecasting.
The SAWS has over 23 weather offices, creating a large operational network in the African Continent. It operates under the Ministry of Water and Environmental Affairs. The agency makes sure to provide public goods and commercial services as per the South African Weather Service Act. No.8 in 2001.
South African Weather Service Bursary 2024
The SAWS is meticulously working to enhance sustainable development in the African and South African regions. Offering bursaries will considerably help young professionals by equipping them with the basic elements they would require to build a successful career.
South African Weather Service offers limited bursaries to the following:
- Meteorological studies – advertised in September-October per region every year
- Weather Observers – advertised in September-October per region every year
- Environmental Sciences – advertised in September-October per region every year
- Technology Studies – limited, advertised in September-October per region every year
In 2024, SAWS (South African Weather Service) is offering bursaries to talented young minds that opt for full-time study at universities in South Africa and SAWS (South African Weather Service) in the following fields:
- National Certificate in Weather Observation – (NQF 5) – 1 year
- BSc. in Earth and Atmospheric Science and BSc. in Meteorology – first, second, and third year
- BSc. related to Air Quality
- BSc. (Honors) bridging course (Introduction to Meteorology)
- BSc. Eng. (Chem)
- Postgraduate Certificate in Weather forecasting
- Data Technologist
- Honors in Earth and Atmospheric Science and Honors in Meteorology
The SAWS Bursary will cover the following:
- Tuition fees
- Registration fees
- Monthly expenses for the entire duration of the awarded bursary
Once the candidates complete the diploma/certificate/degree, they must work for SAWS for 1 year related to each year for which they received the bursary or repay the bursary expenses to SAWS.
Note: This Bursary cannot be used to pay existing debts or loans.
High school-level learners must fulfill the below-given criteria to apply for the SAWS Bursary 2024:
- Should have good Matric results viz. A minimum of 60% in Mathematics (not Maths Literacy) and Physical Science. And, 50% for Meteorological Technicians.
- Must be a General BSc. (Bachelor of Science) graduate with major subjects such as Physical Science, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics, Chemistry, Meteorology, Air-qualify-focused subjects, or Mathematical Statistics.
How to Apply?
Go to https://www.weathersa.co.za/home/bursaries and Register as a user to apply for the bursary. Candidates must upload their comprehensive CV along with certified copies of documentation.
Complete the application form here:
- FAXED application forms are NOT allowed.
- Incomplete or false information will result in your application being rejected
- Application forms submitted after the closing date will be rejected.
- If you do NOT receive any correspondence after one month of the closing date, consider your application as unsuccessful.
Make sure to attach the following essential documents with your application form:
- Certified copy of most recent academic results on official logo or letterhead
- Certified copies of merit certificates or achievements
- Certified copy of South African valid ID
- One-page motivation/cover letter
The application deadline is 3 November 2023.
For any queries related to the SAWS Bursary, contact the following:
The Training Officer
South African Weather Service
Private Bag X097
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/