South32 is a multinational mining and metals company specializing in producing materials like silver, zinc, nickel, manganese, and bauxite, among others. Headquartered in Perth, Australia, the company has operations in countries like South Africa, Colombia, and Mozambique. South32 is listed on Johannesburg Stock Exchange as S32.
The mining company has a bursary programme named after one of its respected former employees, Xolani Mkhwanazi. Dr. Xolani was the company’s non-executive director for years before passing away in January 2020. The bursary was renamed to honor his legacy at the company and the community.
Dr. Xolani Mkhwanazi South32 Bursary 2024
South32 offers financial assistance to a certain number of students every year through the Dr. Xolani Mkhwanazi South32 Bursary Scheme. The number of bursaries is limited, and there’s an evaluation process to select the bursars.
For the academic year, South32 will select students who are currently Grade 12 learners, or already passed Grade 12 pursuing either an undergrad degree or a diploma.
The programme must be in the following fields of study:
- Engineering, Architecture, & Built Environment (any discipline)
- Commerce, Law, and Management (Accountancy, Finance, Economics, Business Science & Law)
- Computer Science & Information Technology
- Science (Mathematics, Physical, Earth, Actuarial and Biological Science)
- Health Sciences (Medicine and Nursing)
- Humanities (Social Science, Education, and Arts)
Students from other disciplines may also apply for the bursary.
The selection is made based on two main factors: Academic performance and financial needs.
Based on those factors, shortlisted candidates will have to attend an interview followed by assessments.
Initially, South32 will award the bursary for one academic year. Bursars will have to apply to renew the bursary after the first year. Renewal is subject to satisfactory performance in the current academic year.
The amount and scope vary depending on the specific needs of the candidates. So some students might be qualified to receive 100% funding for their tuition costs. This is as determined by the South32 selection panel.
Bursary Eligibility Criteria
To select the bursars, South32 has specific criteria in place. Everyone applying for the bursary must fulfill them to receive funding.
The eligibility requirements for Dr. Xolani Mkhwanazi South32 bursary scheme are:
- Must be a South African citizen
- Must reside within the King Cetshwayo District, KwaZulu-Natal province
- Must be under the age of 21
- Must have either completed Matric or currently in Matric
- Must be either pursuing or willing to pursue an undergrad degree or diploma
- Must be studying or intend to study within the aforementioned fields of study
- Must be studying or intend to study at a recognized South African university or University of Technology
When selecting the applicants, preference will be given to those from designated groups.
How to Apply?
If you fulfill all the eligibility criteria, move forward with the application process. The process is simple and done entirely online. It’d take less than an hour. Here are the steps involved:
Applications must be submitted online at: Dr Xolani Mkhwanazi South32 Bursary Application 2024
Applicants must use the following promotional code: Hillside24
Then, you’d have to complete your profile and provide all the necessary details. Follow the instructions while giving the details since that’s what the bursary provider will get to see.
The next step is to submit the necessary documents. These are required to verify the details and process your application. You must scan and upload them onto the CareerWise portal.
The documents required for the bursary are:
- ID documents
- Matric certificate, if completed Matriculation
- Latest Matric results, if currently in Matric
- Full academic record, if studying at a tertiary institution
- Tertiary institute proof of registration or acceptance (must be on institution letterhead)
- Proof of residence within King Cetshwayo District
Before applying, you need to use the code “Hillside24” whenever required. Cross-check everything and submit your application.
The last date to apply for the Dr. Xolani Mkhwanazi South32 bursary is 31 October 2023. The portal closes at 24h00. Late submissions made are discarded.
For further assistance, get in touch with the bursary provider at:
- Telephone – 0860 100 7787 / 011 258 4464
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do NOT contact South32 if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/