If you have an inclination towards creativity then the open window scholarships competition can be your ladder to success. By entering this competition you can realize your dream of building a creative career.
About Open Window
Open Window is a recognized Higher Education institution that was established in the year 1993 in Gauteng, South Africa. The courses offered by the institution include 3 bachelor’s degree programs, a post graduate program, and many accredited certificates in the field of Creative Arts.
The Institution aims to be the best in the field and they strive to achieve this by promoting excellence in academic, being relevant in the creative sector, and making use of the latest technologies.
The goal of Open Window is to produce students who are dynamic, professionals, are critical thinkers and possess the capabilities essential in the creative industry. To fulfill this goal it provides deserving and talented students with the relevant education opportunities by using excellent education models, latest technologies, and industry requirements.
About The Open Window Scholarship Program
Through the Open Window scholarship program, the institution aims to encourage young creative minds. By entering the Open Window competition, students stand a chance to win a partial or full scholarship for the first year of any certificate or degree program for the year 2024 in the following fields:
- Animation Arts
- Visual communication
- Film Arts
- Creative technologies
This scholarship can be a stepping stone for students to achieve their creative career goals.
The Open Window Scholarship Competition
Visual storytelling is an integral part of all the four streams mentioned above. Open Window is thus looking for candidates with excellent visual storytelling skills. To enter the competition, candidates are required to demonstrate their visual storytelling skills by responding to the theme: “What’s in a story?”
For this competition, students are required to create a 4 image or frames series inspired by the theme.
Students can showcase their creativity and talent by using any format, visual medium, or approach to present their narrative digitally. For example, think of stop motion, comics, photographs, typography, sound, animation, 3D objects, digital designs/ illustrations, textiles, ceramics, film, etc.
Students are required to send blueprints, sketches, or planning ideas so that Open Window gets an idea to their journey towards the final outcome.
Eligibility & Requirements
Only those students who fulfill the following eligibility requirements will be considered for the scholarship.
- You must be creative
- Applicant must be currently in Matric
- Student must be eligible for tertiary studies in 2024
- One must be willing to study first-year degree or certificate program relating to film arts, animation arts, creative technologies, or visual communication
- Applicant must meet the degree entry requirements
Students can apply online for the scholarship competition. Click here to start the online application process: The Open Window Scholarships Competition 2024.
Along with the application form, students are required to compulsorily submit the following documents. Applications not supported with valid documents will be rejected.
- Main Project (a series of 4 images/frames inspired by the theme)
- Project title (must be relevant to the theme)
- Rationale (200 words maximum, indicating how the project responds to the theme “What’s in a story?”)
- Project planning document (We are curious to see how you arrived at your final outcome, therefore you are required to submit your planning and revision process notes, which may include thumbnail sketches, layout considerations, behind-the-scenes images/videos, venue scouting images, or anything else that documents the planning and revision process)
- All applicants need to indicate their first and second choice in specialisation (selected from the 14 areas of specialisation OW has on offer).
- Every candidate will be assessed based on the criteria laid down by the company
- Time-based submissions like stop motion, sounds, animation, etc. should be timed within 30 seconds.
- For film and animation submissions candidates are required to submit 5 moments/events rather than 5 scene changes.
- Only those candidates are awarded the scholarships who meet the degree entry requirements.
- Candidates will be awarded the scholarship based on their artistic potential and creative talent.
- The competition is judged based on the concept used, story, material, quality of craftsmanship and skills.
- All the entries are subject to a specific selection process, emphasis on concept, creative use of technique, and professionalism.
16 October 2023.
Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted. Please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.
Find answers to all your queries in relation to the Open Window Scholarship Competition at: email@example.com