About the University of Free State (UFS)
The University of Free State was founded way back in 1904. It was then named Grey College and served as a tertiary section. Decades later, in 1950, the name was changed to the University of Orange Free State. During this time, it became an independent Afrikaans university.
In 2021, the University of Free State has three campuses, which are:
- South Campus at Bloemfontein
- Main Campus at Bloemfontein
- Qwaqwa Campus in the Free State
A total of nine faculties offer a number of undergrad and postgrad qualifications across various domains. Some of the domains are business, economics and management, education, health sciences, humanities, law, natural and agricultural sciences, theology and religion, and open schooling. Each domain is run by a separate faculty.
The UFS Matriculant of the Year Competition
The University of Free State, in collaboration with Media24, offers a bursary for Matric students who want to further their education. The bursary covers any field of study. There are certain eligibility criteria, but the scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional academic performance, leadership skills, and community involvement.
Beneficiaries of this bursary will be selected carefully and be awarded prize money. They can use this amount towards their education or some other pursuit. Along with that, the Star of Stars bursary competition offers personal development and exposure.
A total of 14 students are awarded each year. At the start of the 2024 academic year, a grandeur gala dinner is hosted by UFS. That’s when the winner and the finalists for the bursary will be announced.
Here is some more information about the UFS Star of the Stars bursary 2023 session:
- The judges will select 25 semi-finalists who will then be assessed on a points scale, based on the application form information.
- There will be 14 finalists for the bursary who are deemed the most intelligent and spirited among all. The list will be announced on 25 September 2023.
To select the candidates, UFS has specific eligibility requirements for applicants. Everyone applying for the bursary must satisfy the requirements to proceed further. Failing to do so will result in your application being rejected.
Here are the eligibility criteria for the UFS Star of the Stars bursary competition:
- Must be in Matric for the 2023 academic year.
- Must be a resident of one of the five districts, which are: Fezile Dabi, Lejweleputswa, Motheo, Thabo Mofutsanyana, Xhariep.
- Applicants must be studying in school at Quintile 1, 2, or 3, which are Dinaledi, township, and rural schools, respectively.
- Must be a top achiever in school with an excellent track record.
- Must intend to study at the University of Free State from the academic year 2022. Thus, the applicants are required to apply at UFS before the closing date, which is 05 August 2023.
Please note that the final decision of whom to award the bursary rests on the UFS committee. So meeting all the criteria doesn’t guarantee the scholarship.
How to Apply?
If you meet all the given requirements, move ahead with the application process. It’s simple and easy, but you need to be cautious throughout the process.
Here are the steps involved:
Submit the Application Form
The first step is to download and submit the UFS Star of the Stars bursary Competition Application Form.pdf
You can download it online or get an offline copy at the UFS campuses. UFS marketers can also provide you with a copy.
The form will ask you certain questions which you need to answer accurately.
Submit Necessary Documents
The next step is to submit the following documents:
- ID documents
- Grade 11 results
- Matric results of March and June
- Leadership achievements of Grade 11 and Matric
- Community involvement documents
- Motivational letter explaining why you deserve to be chosen for the bursary competition (read our tips on how to write a motivational letter for a bursary application)
Applications must be submitted via email to Linda Greyling from the University of the Free State at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for the applicants is 5 August 2023.
You can get in touch with the UFS representatives for more details at :
Contact person: Linda Greyling
Tel: 051 401 3384
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/