Uncertainties and unfortunate events can change lives forever. Workers and laborers many times suffer injuries, diseases, or disabilities while at work. Such incidents can leave them with no source of income.
This is where the Compensation Fund which is a part of the Department of Labor in South Africa comes to the rescue of such employees. It provides compensation to the disabled or injured permanent workers, casual workers, apprentices, and trainees.
About Compensation Fund Bursary
Apart from providing compensation to disabled employees, the South African Labor Department also provides Compensation Fund Bursary to previous employees who are injured or ill. This bursary program aims to assist them to upskill their knowledge and obtain new skills and enable them to continue earning their livelihood.
Under this bursary program, young people with physical disabilities are covered and so are the dependents of workers who are granted compensation fund pensions.
Interested candidates can apply for Social Welfare and Vocational Rehabilitation Bursary Scheme for the year 2022. The Compensation Fund Bursary program covers expenses like tuition fees, study materials, meals, accommodation, and a monthly allowance for the applicant.
2 groups are awarded the Compensation Fund Bursary:
This group consists of those unemployed people who are permanently disabled after suffering an injury at their workplace and COID pensioners. This category of people can apply to study in the following fields.
- Poultry Farming
- Upholstery and Furniture making
- Other Vocational training
The second group consists of the dependents of COID (Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases) pensioners, dependents of COID employees who get permanently disabled/ injured after suffering an occupational injury. This group can apply for studies in Accounting science, agriculture, Analytical chemistry, aviation, chemical engineering, data science, digital design, and many other fields as mentioned by the Compensation Fund Bursary.
Those who wish to apply for the Compensation Fund Bursary 2022 must fulfill the following eligibility criteria to receive the Bursary. Students with good academic records will be preferred for the bursary.
For Vocational Rehabilitation Bursary:
- Be a citizen of South Africa
- The combined household income should be less than R600, 000 per year.
- Applicant must be willing to study at one of the institutions; Public Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Colleges, Community Education and Training (CET) Colleges, Higher Education Institution (HEI).
- Applicant must be unemployed Compensation Fund pensioner (previously employed) suffering from an occupational injury.
- Applicant can be any unemployed person with a physical disability
- The aim of the applicant should be to improve the skills and return to employment
For Dependents of Compensation Fund Bursary:
- Must have South African citizenship
- Must be a dependent of Compensation Fund pensioner
- Must be between 17-25 years of age
- Should be willing to study one of the fields mentioned by the Bursary
- Must study at one of the following institutes; Public Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) Colleges, Community Education and Training (CET) Colleges, Higher Education Institution (HEI).
- The household income of the applicant must be less than R600, 000 per year.
- Should possess tuition fees quote and Prescribed Learning Resources quote.
Young Student Bursary:
- Possess South African citizenship
- Students must be 17-25 years of age
- The field of study must be one of those mentioned by the Compensation Fund Bursary
- Students must be willing to study at a Higher Education Institution (HEI)
- Household income should be less than R600, 000 per year.
- Students must be in the first year of studies for the year 2021.
Compensation Fund Bursary Application Process:
- Download and Complete the Compensation Fund Bursary Application Form 2022 (with a complete list of fields of study to be funded) from the Labour government website or visit your nearest Provincial Labour Centre to get the form.
- Complete the Compensation Fund Bursary Application Form and fill in all the details correctly.
- Attach the required documents along with the application
Applications are required to be posted to the following address with the Subject –
The Sub – Directorate: Vocational Rehabilitation,
Department of Employment and Labour
Private Bag x 955
You can also hand-deliver your application at:
167 Thabo Sehume & Madiba Street
Delta Heights Building
- Certified ID proof
- Final results of grade 11 (certified)
- Certified copy of matric results
- Proof of acceptance or preliminary acceptance to study at the institutes mentioned by the Bursary. (in 2020)
- ID documents of parents/guardians
- Certified copy of proof of residence
Eligible candidates can take advantage of this Bursary program and polish their skills with the help of the courses provided.
The Closing date of Phase 1 is 30th November 2021
The Closing date of Phase 2 is 29th January 2022
Failing to submit the application with appropriate details or missing documents can lead to the rejection of the application.
For any queries, advice or assistance, you can call Mr Ntsodi Mafa/Mr Luyolo Fani on 012 319 9264
You can also mail your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org or WhatsApp at 082 937 2062
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on September 30, 2021)