The young population forms the backbone of a nation. It is through their participation and contribution that a nation can achieve success. Thus, it is crucial to help the youth to achieve their academic goals and advance in their choice of profession.
To lend a helping hand to deserving and talented youth, many bursaries are offered in South Africa, one of them being the Bergrivier Municipality bursary. If you have a keen interest in acquiring knowledge and need help then this bursary program can benefit you greatly.
About Bergrivier Municipality
The Bergrivier municipality is spread over an area of 4400 square km in the Western Cape province of South Africa. It stretches between the Groot Winterhoek Mountains and the Atlantic Ocean. This municipal body governs the towns of Velddrif, Piketberg, Porterville, and the adjacent rural areas.
The Bergrivier municipality is surrounded by other municipalities like Swartland, Witzenberg, Saldanha, Cederberg, and Drakenstein.
Among the goals of the municipality is to look after the well-being and betterment of the population residing within its municipal area. Their vision is to create a community for the residents where everyone can work, play, and learn in a dignified way.
The Bergrivier Municipality is bound by its core values which include serving with pride, belief in discipline, belief in good relationships, etc.
Bergrivier Municipality Bursaries 2023
Apart from providing life amenities like light, water, electricity, roads, etc, Bergrivier municipality also takes care of the academic needs of the students residing within their jurisdiction.
The Bergrivier municipality offers a bursary program for the students of its area for the year 2023. Students who want to pursue a first degree or National Diploma in any field of study below can apply for this bursary:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Financial Management
- Internal Audit
- Risk Management
- Supply Chain Management
The Bergrivier Municipality bursary covers the following expenses:
- Tuition fees
- Registration fees
The bursary will be directly paid to the institution at which the student has secured an admission. Students receiving the bursary shall sign a bursary agreement with the Bergrivier Municipality
Bursary Eligibility Criteria
Students who wish to receive the Bergrivier bursaries 2023 are required to meet certain eligibility criteria set by the municipality. Failure to meet the eligibility requirements will disqualify the student’s application.
- One must be a South African citizen and must possess a valid South African ID number
- Students must be permanent residents of the Bergrivier municipal area
- Students between the age group of 18-35 years will be preferred. However, students of other age groups can also apply.
- Applicants must have the intention to study full-time towards a first degree or National Diploma
- Students must have passed the previous years of their study
- One must successfully meet the eligibility requirements of the tertiary institution in which one wishes to study
- Applicant must intend to study at an accredited/recognized institution in South Africa
- Those students whose household income is less than the GAP housing threshold will be preferred for this bursary program
How to Apply?
To apply for the Bergrivier municipal bursary one must fill out the Bergrivier Municipality Bursary Application Form. (pdf)
Students can also collect a hard copy of the form from the Human Resource Services Department (Piketberg).
Along with the application form students should also submit copies of the following documents:
- Certified copy of ID document
- A certified copy of the Matric result or Matric certificate
- Complete academic record along with a copy of the latest results on the institution’s letterhead
- Residential address proof
- ID document of parents or guardian
- Registration or acceptance proof at the tertiary institution
- Breakdown of the fees for the full year on institution letterhead
- Household income proof of parents or guardian (payslip, employment letter, affidavit if unemployed, proof of grant, death certificate if parents/guardians are dead)
- Proof of disability, if applicable
Complete applications clearly marked “Application for Bursary Opportunity 2023” must be submitted by hand at the various municipal offices (Piketberg, Porterville, Velddrif, Eendekuil, Aurora, Redelinghuys, Goedverwacht); for the attention of Mr. D Boumeester (Human Resource Officer: Training and Development) to reach her no later than the closing date
Students must download the application form and fill it out carefully. Applications must be hand-delivered to one of the municipal offices:
- Aurora: Main Street, Aurora, 7325, Western Cape (Tel: 022 952 1720)
- Porterville: Mark Street, Porterville, 6810, Western Cape (Tel: 022 931 2100)
- Piketberg: Kerkstraat 13, Piketberg, 7320, Western Cape (Tel: 022 913 6000)
- Velddrif: Voortrekker Street, Velddrif, 7365, Western Cape (Tel: 022 783 1112)
- Redelinghuys: Voortrekker Street, Redelinghuys, 8105, Western Cape (Tel: 022 962 1605)
- Eendekuil: Hoof Street, Eendekuil, 7335, Western Cape (Tel: 022 942 1780)
The last date of application is 13 January 2023
In case of any queries related to the bursary, one can contact the Bergrivier Municipality.
Name: Mr. D Boumeester
Telephone: 022 913 6055
If the bursary has already been closed, you are requested not to contact the Bergrivier Municipality. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/