The tourism department of a country is one of the most crucial sectors as it contributes to the economy and also generates employment. The development of the tourism department is essential and for this, the participation of youth is also needed.
To encourage the youth of the nation to participate in the tourism sector and contribute to its growth, the Department of Tourism is offering a bursary to needy students.
If you have an undying passion for tourism and want to pursue a profession in the same, then this bursary can help you to fulfill your dreams.
About the Department of Tourism
The Department of Tourism is managed by the South African government and is responsible for the promotion of tourism within South Africa and from other countries too. Minister Lindiwe Sisulu is the tourism minister and is supported by deputy minister Fish Mahlalela.
The vision of this department is to create favorable and sustainable conditions for the growth of tourism in the country and be among the top 20 tourism destinations. By enhancing tourism, the department aims to improve economic growth and also create employment opportunities for the population.
Among the values of the department are trust, accountability, responsible tourism, flexibility, adapting to change, transparency, integrity, etc.
Department of Tourism Bursary 2023
The Department of Tourism offers Bursary opportunities to South African graduates studying (Diploma/ Degree/ Hons MSc/ M Tech Masters/ PhD) in fields listed below:
- Business Management
- Communication Science / Journalism / Public Relations
- Computer Science / Information Technology (including Data Processing, Data Warehousing and related, Software Development)
- Development Studies
- Internal Audit (including Forensic / IT Audit)
- Risk Management
- Statistics / Data Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Tourism Development / Tourism Management
- Bursaries are available for both undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications
- The bursary is available for the subsequent years based on the academic performance of the student
- Selected candidates will be required to sign a bursary contract with the department
Bursary Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who wish to receive the bursary are required to meet the eligibility criteria set by the department. Those students who do not fulfill all the eligibility criteria will not be considered for the same.
- Students must be citizens of South Africa
- One must have completed the Matric examination
- Students should be willing to take up an undergraduate/postgraduate qualification in the fields mentioned above
- Applicant should have the intention to study at a recognized and accredited University in South Africa
How to Apply?
One can download and fill out the Department of Tourism Bursary Application Form. pdf
Enter “allbursaries.co.za” in the field asking how you heard about the Department of Tourism Bursary.
Students can also collect a copy of the form from the reception of the Department of Tourism. It is important to fill out the form accurately and thus the following points should be remembered:
- Use capital letters to fill out the form
- Take note of the closing date for submission
- Incomplete applications will be disqualified and rejected
- Keep the answers precise and mark where required
- Students can email, mail, or hand-deliver the application form
Attach copies of the following documents along with the application to complete it:
- Certified copy of Id proof
- Certified Matric passing certificate
- Certified copies of other academic certificates
- Registration proof on the institute’s letterhead
- Latest academic transcripts
- Admission letter
- Household income proof of parents/guardians
- Honors and Master’s degree students must submit a research proposal
- Motivational letter to convince the authorities that you deserve the bursary. Keep the motivational letter concise and crisp, convey your future academic and professional goals. (Learn how to write a motivational letter for your bursary application)
Students can submit their application in one of the following ways:
- By post to:
Department of Tourism
Private Bag X424
- If you want to hand-deliver it, the address is as follows:
17 Trevena Street
The last date for application is 04 November 2022 – Extended date.
Students can contact the Department of Tourism if they have any queries related to the bursary:
Mr. L Shiviti- 012 444 6172
Ms. K Taunyane- 012 444 6164
Ms. K Malemela- 012 444 6191
If the bursary has already been closed, you are requested not to contact the Department of Tourism. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/