About Department of Water and Sanitation
The Department of Water and Sanitation, or DWS, is responsible for adequate water resources in South Africa. It formulates and then implements the policies that are beneficial for the sector.
Formerly known as the Department of Irrigation, the Department of Water and Sanitation was set up in 1912. Since then, it strives to provide clean water to South African households. The department is also involved in water resources management.
The DWS has set up an academy called the Learning Academy. Its goal is to assist students financially in completing their tertiary education in the water and sanitation sector. The bursary is a part of that effort.
About the DWS Bursary 2024
The Department of Water and Sanitation Bursary programme is meant for students who want to complete their undergrad or postgrad education in the field of water or sanitation.
For the year 2024, the Department of Water and Sanitation will consider applications only for 1st and 2nd years of study only for the following qualifications:
- BSc/BEng in Civil; Mechanical and Electrical
- BSc (Hons) in Civil; Mechanical and Electrical
- BSc in Hydrology; Geohydrology; Environmental Management; Project Management, Environmental Sciences, Environmental and Water Sciences
- BSc (Hons) in Hydrology; Geohydrology; Environmental Management; Project Management, Environmental Sciences, Environmental and Water Sciences
- National Diploma/BEng Tech in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering; Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current); National Diploma in Water Care and Environmental Management and Biochemistry.
Another factor to consider is that the bursaries will be awarded to students to will be studying at the following universities in 2024:
- University of Pretoria
- University of Kwa-Zulu Natal
- University of the Free State
- University of Cape Town
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of the Western Cape
- University of Limpopo
- Nelson Mandela University
- Walter Sisulu University
- Tshwane University of Technology
- Durban University of Technology
- Central University of Technology
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Vaal University of Technology
- University of Venda
- University of Witwatersrand
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Zululand
- Rhodes University
- University of Fort Hare
- North West University
- University of Mpumalanga
- Sol Plaatje University
The bursaries are awarded to students on a year-to-year basis with excellent academic performance. It covers expenses like tuition fees, programme registration fees, textbook fees, accommodation costs, and meals expenses. Besides that, it also offers an annual allowance for personal use.
After completing their studies, the students must be willing to join the Water Learning Academy for up to three years.
Eligibility Criteria of DWS Bursary 2024
To apply for the bursary, you need to meet its eligibility criteria. Ensure that you meet all of them. Otherwise, you’ll application will be deemed invalid.
The eligibility requirements for DWS bursary are:
- Must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must have passed Grade 12
- Must be accepted to one of the universities mentioned above and enrolled in one of the eligible degrees
- Should have an excellent academic record
- Must be in need of financial assistance
- Must not be receiving benefits from any other bursary programmes like NSFAS
- Students will disabilities are encouraged to apply
Students from rural and poor communities will be given preference.
Apply for the scholarship if you meet all of the criteria. But this doesn’t guarantee selection. The final decision will be taken by the committee.
DWS Bursary: How to Apply?
The application process for the DWS bursary programme is simple. You can apply for it within an hour or two. Here are the steps involved:
Complete the Application Form
It’s a basic form that asks about your personal and academic details.
Prepare Necessary Documents
The next step is to submit the necessary documents, which are:
- ID documents
- Grade 11 and Matric results (if currently Matric)
- Matric certificate, if graduated Matric
- Tertiary academic records to date, if studying at university
- Provisional acceptance letter from the university
- Proof of household income
The first four documents should be certified copies.
E-mail Your Application
Scan all the documents and the application form and mail them to email@example.com. In the subject field, insert “DWS Bursary Application – Full Name.”
The last date to apply for the DWS bursary is 30 November 2023.
For any queries, contact bursary coordinator, Ms. Nobulali Mtikitiki, at:
- Telephone – 012 336 7149
- E-mail – MtikitikiN@dws.gov.za
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/