Young and talented individuals play a crucial role in the socio-economic and all-around development of a nation. When a nation supports the young generation and encourages their participation in its affairs there is a flow of newer ideas and successful ventures.
Therefore, the young population of a nation must receive the desired support to build a bright future.
If you are enthusiastic about your academics and need help then the DMRE bursary can be your ladder to success.
About the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE)
The Department of Mineral Resources and the Department of Energy existed as two separate entities in the South African government. In 2019, both these departments were merged into one.
This department works to improve the socio-economic growth of the nation by developing the mineral resources and energy sector. The vision of the DMRE is to make South Africa a leader in transformation by facilitating economic growth and sustainable development of the mining and energy sectors.
The DMRE has 6 programs that are initiated to develop the mineral resources and energy sectors to promote socio-economic growth, social equity, and environmental sustainability.
DMRE Bursary Program 2024
To help the students of the nation in pursuing their careers in the fields of energy resources and minerals, the DMRE provides bursaries. Students from disadvantaged backgrounds can apply for the bursary for the academic year 2023.
Both current and future undergraduate students can apply for this bursary program provided their field of study is one of the following:
- Bachelor of Science (Physics and Chemistry)
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current)
- Electro-Mechanical/ Mechatronics Engineering
- Environmental Health and Management
- Industrial Engineering
- Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering (Extractive)
- Mining Engineering
- Mining Survey
- Nuclear Engineering
- Rock Engineering
Students who are shortlisted for the bursary will be intimidated latest by 31 January 2024.
The right to award a bursary rests with the DMRE and it is at their discretion to refuse the bursary to unsuitable candidates.
Eligibility Criteria For The DMRE Bursary Program
The Department has laid down certain eligibility criteria which are required to be met by all the students applying for the bursary. Failure to meet the eligibility requirements can disqualify your application.
- One must be a citizen of South Africa
- Current Matric students and those who have completed their Matric can apply for the bursary
- Students must have an intention to pursue full-time qualification towards one of the fields mentioned by the DMRE
- One should apply only for undergraduate studies
- Applicant must be willing to pursue the course at a University or the University of Technology in South Africa
- Students must have a weak financial background
- For their matric examination, students must have achieved a minimum level 6 or HG “B” symbol for Science
- You must score a minimum level 6 or HG “B” symbol for Mathematics in Matric
- Students must belong to a disadvantaged social background or rural area to receive the bursary
- Applicant must not be in any kind of employment
- First-year students will be given preference
- Female students will be given priority
- Disabled students are highly encouraged to apply
How To Apply For The DMRE Bursary?
Students are required to complete the DMRE Bursary Application Form. pdf
While filling out the form students must ensure that the form is filled accurately using block letters. The relevant fields must be marked with “X”.
One must use only the above-mentioned form to apply for the bursary. Old and outdated forms will be rejected.
Applicants are also required to submit copies of the following documents along with the application form.
- Certified ID proof
- Matric certificate/latest matric results
- Recent academic record
- Registration/acceptance proof at a University
- ID documents of parents/guardians
- Death certificate of deceased parents/guardians
- Motivational letter to support your application
- If the whereabouts of one or both the parents are not known, submit an affidavit
- Proof of income (parents/guardians)
- Residence proof in the form of a municipal utility bill(not older than 3 months), a copy of the sworn affidavit, or stamped letter from tribal authorities
One can submit the application in one of these ways:
- Post: Private Bag X59, Arcadia 0007
The Director: Ms. Nondumiso Zulu
The Department of Mineral Resources & Energy Trevenna Campus
70 Meintjies Street
Closing Date Of The DMRE Bursary
The last date for application is 30 November 2023.
If the bursary has already been closed, you are requested not to contact The Department of Mineral Resources and the Department of Energy (DMRE). View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/