About Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA)
The Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) is a branch of the Gauteng Department of Education that aims to promote skills development in Gauteng. This is done by establishing learnerships, internships, bursaries (GCRA Bursary), skills programme, and career guidance programmes. The Gauteng youth, business sectors and Gauteng government employees are the major beneficiaries of the GCRA.
The GCRA has developed an Unemployment database to identify participants for development programs. The employment opportunities will come from Gauteng Provincial Government departments, municipalities, government agencies and the private sectors. Interviews, as well as other application procedures and results, will be used as a basis for program selection. The aim is to build a skilled, capable and ethical workforce for the region in South Africa.
GCRA Bursary 2024
GCRA is offering financial assistance to students who want to continue their education but lack the resources to cover the cost of study.
The GCRA bursary programme is intended for undergraduate students and those in postgraduate studies residing within the province of Gauteng. Students can be in any field of study. As long as they meet the eligibility requirements (detailed in the next section), they can apply for bursary funding.
Once awarded, the bursary will cover the following expenses (as per the bursary contract):
- Registration fees
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation cost
Those staying in residence will receive a maximum amount of R 65,000. Students residing off-campus or in private accommodation will receive a maximum of R 47,000. GCRA will calculate the final amount each bursar will receive.
Shortlisted candidates will get a notification regarding their selection within 3 to 4 weeks of the closing date. If you didn’t receive any email or phone call by then, consider your application to be unsuccessful.
GCRA Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
To be selected for the bursary award, you must fulfill the eligibility criteria. Since there are a limited number of bursaries on offer, GCRA cannot award them to everyone who’s applying. The criteria are in place to select the appropriate candidates. Applicants that do not meet all of the requirements will not be considered. Therefore, always cross-check before applying.
The eligibility requirements for the Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Bursary are:
- Must be a South African citizen
- Must reside within the Gauteng province
- Must be between the age of 18 to 35 at the time of applying
- Must have completed Matriculation
- Students on an undergraduate programme must be either studying or have registered themselves to study at a PSET (Post School Education and Training) that’s registered and accredited institution
- Postgrad students must be either studying or have registered themselves to study at a tertiary institution of higher learning towards a postgraduate qualification
- Must have a strong academic record
Not everyone fulfilling the above criteria will be selected. The applicants who meet the following criteria will get preference over others and will automatically be selected:
- Top achiever at their school in Gauteng
- Belong to the top three learners if studying at a no-fee paying schools in Gauteng
- Belong to the top three learners if studying at an LSEN (Learners with Special Education Needs) government schools in Gauteng
How to Apply and Application Details
To apply for the Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Bursary, you must complete the application process. It is a simple, online process. While it’s simple, you need to be diligent and attentive while completing the steps. Incomplete or erroneous submissions are rejected without further consideration.
GCRA bursary online application form is available for the applicants at https://gcrabursary.gauteng.gov.za/
If you already have an account, you can access the GCRA Login here: https://gcrabursary.gauteng.gov.za/Account/Login
Download the GCRA Bursary Application Guide for more detailed information about the application process.
You will be required to Register an account with your details before you can Login and apply for the bursary online.
Along with that, you’d have to input Matric’s final results and other academic details. You’d have to select which type of bursary you’re applying for in the bursary application portal. The options are:
- New Intake – if you applying to GCRA for the first time
- Renewal – if you were funded by GCRA in the previous year.
- Reinstatement – if your bursary was suspended and you have met the conditions to have it reinstated
- Top Achievers – If you are a top Achiever in Gauteng Province
- Top 3 Achiever in a no fee paying school
- Top 3 in LSEN: Learners with special educational needs schools
- MEC/HOD Discretion – If the MEC/HOD has told you to apply for a bursary
- Veteran Discretion – If you are a child of a Military Veteran
- Financial Assistance – If you have finance, but require assistance
- Top Ups – if you have an existing bursary and need additional funds to Top Up
Prepare the following document to accompany your application:
- Certified copy of Matric Certificate (not more than three months) and results if doing a semester course.
- Certified copy of Identity Document (not more than three months)
- Proof of registration or acceptance letter from PSET Institution
- Proof of residence required (either a Water and Electricity bill, stamped ward councilors letter, or in the case of rural areas, a recognized letter from traditional authority to show proof of address)
- Letter of Motivation (The motivation letter should indicate why they require and deserve financial assistance)
- Disability / Medical Report if applicable
- Proof of income from parents if employed (both parent’s salary advice). Affidavits will be required for the following:
- If single parented
- Unemployed parents
- Guardian – an affidavit and proof of guardianship
- Orphans – include death certificates
- Applicants whose surnames are different from parents and/or guardians
Closing Date Of The GCRA Bursary
29 February 2024.
Contact Details Of The Bursar
For any queries related to this GCRA bursary programme, please get in touch with the Gauteng City Region Academy directly:
To learn more about the Gauteng City Region Academy (GCRA) Read these Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) as well.
If the bursary has already been closed, please do not make any queries. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/