About KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport
Founded in 1994, the Kwa-Zulu Natal Department of Transport was formed after merging the former KwaZulu Transport and Natal Roads Department. The KZN Department of Transport was legislatively established in terms of Section 7 of the Public Service Act 1994 (as amended).
The main principles of the Department are to plan and provision access roads and bridges (including pedestrian bridges) to local communities within KwaZulu Natal to facilitate easy access and mobility, especially for previously marginalized rural areas.
The Department aims to create a strong provincial road network and manage the road infrastructure through planning, construction, maintenance, and repair of this road network to promote the social and economic growth of KwaZulu Natal.
Further, the Department also wants to create a safe road environment through Education, Engineering, Enforcement, and Evaluation. It ensures regulation, control, and efficient management of freight and public transport operations. Apart from this, the Department also looks after the regulation of traffic, regulation, and licensing of drivers and vehicles, management of provincial vehicle fleet, and implementation of Road Safety Awareness Programmes and Campaigns.
KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport Bursary 2024
Department of Transport is planning to award a total of 22 bursaries to applicants who are residents of KwaZulu-Natal and are interested in studying a tertiary degree in the following fields:
- Bachelor of Science in Geographic Information (2 bursary awards available)
- Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (10 bursary awards available)
- Project Management (3 bursary awards available)
- BCom Transport Economics (5 bursary awards available)
- Bcom Law (2 bursary awards available)
The bursary is offered for full-time study at a public Higher Learning institution and covers accommodation, meals, tuition fees, and prescribed textbooks, as required. Successful students must enter into a contract with the department for years equal to their duration of degree studies.
As per the availability of space, successful students will have to serve the relevant Department of Transport for the number of years as stated in the Bursary Contract.
Note: Student is responsible for seeking admission at a tertiary Institution and accommodation at University residence.
To apply for the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport Bursary 2024, students must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be a South African citizen, residing in KwaZulu-Natal Province
- Students who have a Matric/Grade 12 certificate
- Age restrictions: Must be from 18 to 35 years
- Students who are currently studying for a qualification in either of the fields listed above
- Students who have an acceptance letter from a public Higher Learning Institution and are willing to study in either of the fields listed above
- The department will prefer students who will pursue studies at Institutions located within the Kwa-Zulu Natal Province.
- Disable students are highly encouraged to apply
How to Apply?
To apply for the Kwa-Zulu Natal Department of Transport Bursary, students can obtain application forms from all Department of Transport Offices, social media platforms, or the following link:
Students must complete the form; attach the documents, and forward applications to:
THE BURSARY SECTION
Private Bag X9043,
lnkosi Mhlabunzima Maphumulo House
172 Burger Street
Applicants must attach the following documentation along with the complete application form:
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified copy of Parents’/Guardians’ ID document and/or death certificate, if applicable
- Certified copy of Matric certificate
- If still in school, half-yearly academic results
- If not yet accepted, a copy of the admission requirements from the Institution for the intended degree
- If already studying, the current results statement (certified copy)
- Copy of curriculum from the institution for the intended degree (including the number of degree years, and number of subjects to be taken)
- Proof of income and expenditure statement of Parents/Guardians
- If unemployed, a letter or affidavit from the Department of Labour confirming the same
- If employed, pay slips
- If receiving a pension, pension receipts
- If receiving a social grant, an SASSA letter
- Proof of registration OR acceptance letter from the Higher Learning institution
- For progressing students, print from the Institution of the tuition fees required
- Proof of Residence
- Letter of Motivation explaining why you think you deserve to win this bursary award outlining your circumstances.
The application deadline is 24 November 2023.
Only successful candidates will receive correspondence. If you do not receive any correspondence within 4 months of the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
For any queries related to the KZN Department of Transport Bursary 2024, contact the following:
Tel: (033) 355 8600
Fax: (033) 355 8092
Please do not send any queries after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/