About KZN COGTA
In KwaZulu-Natal, the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (COGTA) functions in compliance with the constitutional mandates specified in Sections 139, 154, and 155 of the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996. These directives provide COGTA with the authority to monitor and build local government capacity, assist and enhance municipal capacities, and control the executive authority of municipalities.
In order to accelerate the provision of high-quality services to communities, COGTA is dedicated to coordinating and developing cooperation across governance organisations. Its mission is “People Centred sustainable Co-operative governance.”
The department places a high priority on financial responsibility, accountability, objectivity, transparency, and honesty. The department’s mission is defined by open communication, respect for employees, acknowledgement of exceptional performance, and a dedication to providing excellent service through teamwork. The organisational structure of COGTA is a reflection of its commitment to efficient governance, with a focus on service delivery, accountability, and transparency.
KZN COGTA Bursary 2024
Residents of KwaZulu-Natal who are interested in pursuing higher education in some of the specific disciplines of study are eligible to apply for the full-time bursary programme for the upcoming academic year from the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs. Young students with disabilities are also encouraged to apply for the bursary.
Students pursuing or wishing to pursue a national diploma or bachelor’s degree from the following fields are eligible for the bursary:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Information Technology / Computer Science
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Geographical Information Systems (Geography, Cartography, and Remote Sensing)
- Land Surveying / Quantity Surveying / Valuation
- Disaster Management
- Auditing / Risk Management or Supply Chain Management
The KZN COGTA Bursary will pay for the following expenses for the selected candidates:
- Tuition fees
- Prescribed textbooks
Note: The successful applicants will sign a contract that will last for the same number of years as their study period. The bursary contract also specifies the number of years that a bursar must work for the department.
If any applicant has not been contacted within 4 months of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
** RELATED BURSARIES **
- View our other currently open Computer Science & IT Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Electrical Engineering Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Law Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Bursaries and Scholarships OPEN for application here.
Interested applicants must meet the following entry requirements to apply for the KZN COGTA Bursary. Please note that your application will not be considered if you fail to complete all of the following:
- Young people with matriculation or grade 12 certificates
- Applicants from KwaZulu-Natal Natal province, aged 18 to 35
- Students eager to study in the disciplines mentioned above must possess a confirmation or provisional letter of admission from a public university
- Students who are presently pursuing the degrees listed above
How to apply?
You can apply for the KZN COGTA Bursary by downloading and filling out the Bursary Application Form.
You can refer to the official bursary advertisement here for more information. The application form is also available at the COGTA’s office.
Applicants are requested to post their application form with supporting documents at the following address:
The Bursary Unit
Human Capital Development
Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs
Private Bag X9078
Candidates eligible to apply for the KZN COGTA Bursary are requested to submit the following documents in addition to their application form. Applications without supporting documents will be disqualified and will not be considered for the bursary programme.
- A certified copy of your Identity document (ID)
- Certified copy of parents’ ID and/or your guardians’ ID/ death certificate, where applicable
- A certified copy of the Matric certificate and a current statement of results if you are already studying.
- Proof of income and expenditure statements of parents/legal guardians must be provided or a letter from the Department of Labour stating that they are unemployed (payslip, receipt, or bank statement)
- Proof of registration/acceptance letter from the institution of higher learning/CAO application proof.
- Proof of Residence
Please note that only applications from students enrolled in or planning to enroll in KZN Province institutions will be taken into consideration, except for situations in which no tertiary institution in KwaZulu-Natal offers the qualification in question or in which the applicant was rejected by all KwaZulu-Natal tertiary institutions. The submission of evidence demonstrating non-acceptance by KwaZulu Natal tertiary institutions is required.
The last date of application is 22 December 2023.
Please contact the COGTA Department of KwaZulu-Natal directly with any questions you may have about this bursary programme:
Name of the Contact Persons:
- Ms J Mchunu
Tel: 033 2608267
- Mr S Zondi
Tel: 033 2608271
- Ms H Pitout
Tel: 033 2608268
- Ms V Govender
Tel: 033 2608266
Please do not send any queries after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/