LGSETA stands for the Local Government Sector Education and Training Authority. It falls under the executive structure of the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) and is one of the 21 SETAs in South Africa.
The organization is responsible for the creation and implementation of skill development reforms for the assistance of local government employees (unemployed or working within the local government).
LGSETA works closely with its stakeholders (the Department of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (CoGTA), the Independent Municipal and Allied Trade Union (IMATU), the South African Municipal Workers Union (SAMWU) and the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) for the betterment of the community.
Under the guidance of a pragmatic board of directors, LGSETA ensures an effective training platform for the learners and that the educated can fulfill the various requirements of the government sectors.
LGSETA visions to develop a capable and highly-skilled local government. Through strategic partnerships, effective capacity-building practices and innovative approaches, the Local Government Sector Education and Training Authority ensures that the government can meet the different developmental needs.
LGSETA Bursary 2024
The LGSETA (Local Government Sector Education and Training Authority) is inviting applicants who have an interest in the local government sector to apply for the Discretionary Bursary 2024. This is in support of the Annual Performance Plan and Strategic Plan of the LGSETA’s targets.
As per LGSETA Discretionary Grants policy, the bursary award amount will be a maximum of R100, 000.00 per year for University and University of Technology students. And, it will be a maximum of R70 000.00 per year for students from TVET College.
Candidates willing to apply for the LGSETA Bursary 2024 must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must reside in South Africa with permanent residence status.
- Grade 12 learners who have been accepted into Higher Learning Institutions.
- University, TVET Colleges (NATED Programmes), or University of Technology students.
- Applicants who are registered for a degree/course related to the local government sector.
- Bursary will only be given to students studying full-time.
- LGSETA will prefer students whose studies are in line with the SPOI (sector priority occupations and interventions) List. Applicants may find the list of these qualifications HERE.
- LGSETA will only award the bursary to applicants from DHET-recognized institutions.
How to Apply?
Go to this link Learners DG Bursary Window. Here you will find the Bursary Application User Manual for 2023-2024 to guide you through the entire application process.
Each student must submit the bursary application through the LGSETA website as provided in the application user manual. No applications will be accepted via email or hand-delivery.
To apply, learners must Register and then Log in to the LGSETA Online Portal.
After logging in, go to the BURSARY MODULE, select the NEW APPLICATION button, and apply.
- All applications are subject to approval by the LGSETA’s Accounting Authority.
- Bursary awards will be subject to applicants fulfilling eligibility criteria, application process and policies, and availability of funds.
- LGSETA will not extend the deadline.
- LGSETA will disapprove incomplete or late applications.
- LGSETA reserves the right to partly or fully cancel the discretionary grant funding window solely at its discretion.
- In the application form, please enter only 1 year’s amount. If a bursary is awarded to you, this one-year contract will be renewable each year upon LGSETA’s discretion and provided that the student passes to the next year.
Applicants must upload and submit the following required documents:
- Certified ID document (the stamped date must not be older than 6 months from the time of submission to the LGSETA.) ID copy must be visible and clear.
- In the case of a smart ID card, you must scan it on both sides.
- Enrollment form
- Proof of Unemployment
- Highest qualification academic results
- Grade 12 learners: Term 1-3 Grade 12 results (certified, school stamp)
- Completed Grade 12 and Now in the first year: Matric results (not older than 6 months, certified)
- If in Second-year or above: Previous academic year results (on institution’s stamp)
- Registration letter
- New learners: Signed proof of acceptance from the institution (NOT proof of application)
- For those already registered at an institution: Proof of registration
Note: For first-time applicants, documents such as fee structure, accommodation invoice, books invoice, and academic history, are NOT compulsory. These will only be asked from the applicant if the bursary is awarded to them.
The application deadline is 8 November 2023 at Midnight (23:59)
If you do not receive any correspondence from LGSETA within 3 months of submitting your application, consider your application as unapproved.
Any queries related to the LGSETA Bursary 2024 must be directed to:
Email: DG Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/