About West Coast District Municipality
The West Coast District Municipality (WCDM) is in the Western Cape province and its seat in Moorreesburg. WCDM consists of 5 local municipalities, which are Saldanha Bay, Bergrivier Local, Matzikama Local, Cederberg Local, and Swartland. The main purpose of WCDM is to share responsibility with the local government by making sure the communities within the area have ready access to services and resources.
West Coast District Municipality Bursary 2023
Partnering with the Department of the Western Cape, The West Coast District Municipality is inviting students residing within the West Coast Municipal area, to apply for bursary funding for the 2023 academic year. Bursaries to full-time students in 2023 for those specializing in the following undergraduate degree (NQF6 or NQF7) or National Diploma (NQF6) fields of study and who have been accepted by a University or University of Technology will be considered:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Health Practices
- Financial Management
- Human Resource Management / Development
- ICT (Information and Communications Technology)
- Internal Auditing
- Public Administration / Management
- Risk Management
- Supply Chain Management
Each of these bursaries has a maximum value of RS50,000 excluding accommodations. The awarded bursaries can extend up to three (3) years, depending on the satisfactory performance of the awardee. Once the students have completed their studies, they must enroll in the internship program at the West Coast District Municipality.
Candidates who qualify for the scholarship will get notified. Those applicants who don’t receive any feedback within 30 days of the closing date of the application can consider their application unsuccessful.
West Coast District Municipality Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
Before applying, interested applicants must satisfy the following entry criteria:
- Must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must have parents or guardians who live in the West Coast region
- Must intend on studying full-time in one of the fields of study mentioned above
- You must be currently in Matric or have completed Matric
- Must have been provisionally accepted or accepted to study at one of the accredited South African Universities or Universities of Technology
- Must come from a historically disadvantaged background or must have some sort of disability
- Students with a minimum level of 40% in Mathematics or 50% in Mathematical Literacy will be considered.
- Students with an average mark of 60% or higher will be considered; or candidates with an average mark of 50% or higher, with a Mathematics mark of 60% or higher.
Failure to satisfy all of these requirements may lead to the application getting disregarded.
How to Apply and Application Details
Download and complete the West Coast District Municipality Bursary Application Form (.pdf)
Together with the application form, the applicant should also submit clear copies of the following documents:
- Certified copy of an ID document
- Certified copy of Matric certificate or Matric final results if the applicant hasn’t completed Matric yet
- Proof of tertiary provisional acceptance on the letterhead of the tertiary school
- Proof of tertiary registration fees on the letterhead of the tertiary school
- Proof of permanent residential address
- Certified copy of the applicant’s parents’ or guardians’ ID documents
- Proof of household income of the applicant’s parents or guardians in the form of 3 most recent payslips (if employed) or a certified copy or sworn affidavit (if unemployed)
- Affidavit of guardianship if the applicant isn’t living with their parents
- Certified copies of the ID documents of any other people dependent on family income
- A motivational letter that includes what motivates the applicant to study towards their chosen field, why the applicant believes they should get the bursary. The letter should be a maximum of 1000 words in the applicant’s own handwriting on a separate sheet of paper.
The applicant must submit their application form and other documents using one of the following ways:
- By Post:
West Coast District Municipality
P.O. Box 242
(Attention: Human Resources Development)
- By Hand delivery:
West Coast District Municipality
58 Lang Street
The submission of these documents is a requirement. Failure to submit all of these documents will lead to the application getting disregarded.
31 October 2022 at 12:00
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the West Coast District Municipality directly:
Training and Development section
Contact People: Mrs Thelma Steinmann / Ms Charney Erasmus
Telephone: 022 433 8400
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/