About Western Cape Provincial Treasury
The Western Cape Provincial Treasury is responsible for achieving the desired socio-economic and governance outcomes of the Western Cape by providing strategic financial management to the province. The department is in charge of regulating and supervision of the Western Cape government finances.
The Provincial Treasury is specifically accountable for the province’s strategic and operational management, asset and liabilities management, financial governance and accounting, provincial and local government public finance, and public policy services. These are all under the legislative context of section 18 of the PFMA and section 5 of the MFMA.
Western Cape Provincial Treasury Bursaries
In 2008, the Western Cape Provincial Treasury government launched a bursary programme to help their youth continue higher education. The bursary programme is committed to providing opportunities for the Western Cape’s young individuals as well as address skills shortages in Economics, Accounting, Finance and Auditing.
It aims to cultivate a pool of talent from which the department can employ and develop skills in disadvantaged communities. The bursary programme emphasizes building economic empowerment capacity and enables members of disadvantaged communities to compete in the labor market.
Bursaries are awarded to Grade 12 learners and qualified undergraduate and postgraduate students who wish to pursue careers in:
- Accounting & Auditing
- Supply Chain Management
- Built Environment and Project Management (preferably Construction Economics/Management; Population Studies; Transport Economics or related courses)
- Information Sciences, Data Science and Statistics
Bursaries will be granted to successful applicants for full-time study towards accredited courses at accredited universities in the aforementioned study fields for a period not less than one (1) year. Bursary holders will then be required to sign and accept contractual agreements with the Provincial Treasury.
The Provincial Treasury does not have any obligation to provide an opportunity for work-related experiences to bursary holders.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Must be a South African citizen.
- Must need to be a resident of the Western Cape province
- Within 17 to 35 years old
- A minimum average of 65% for the previous year of study at high school or university
- Not a recipient of any other bursaries or funding
- Obtained a B. Degree within one or more of the targeted fields of study, for the postgraduate applicant
- People with disabilities are encouraged to apply
How to Apply and Application Details
The application can be done through the following online application link at: Western Cape Provincial Treasury Bursary Application 2024
Accompany your application form with certified copies of the following (for online applications, the file size should have maximum 2mb per file and must be in pdf format):
- Identity Document
- Letter of motivation (If you’re not sure how to write an effective motivation letter for a bursary, check out this article for motivation letter writing guidance)
- November Grade 11 and June Grade 12 results (applicable to Grade 12 applicants only)
- Acceptance letter from institution or proof of application at a tertiary institution
- Academic results from a tertiary institution (not applicable to grade 12 applicants)
- Grade 11 certificate (not applicable to applicants currently in grade 12)
- Degree, diploma already obtained, if any
- Household income/salary statement/affidavit of income
- Written estimation of study costs
All applicants will be notified by 30 November 2023. However, if you do not receive any response within three months after the closing date for applications, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Opening & Closing Date
15 September 2023.
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact the Western Cape Provincial Treasury directly:
Tel: 021 483 4823 / 021 483 6127
Nicolaas van Aarde
Tel: 021 483 3040
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: http://allbursaries.co.za/notice/