About Attorneys Fidelity Fund
The Attorneys Fidelity Fund (AFF) is a fidelity guarantee fund that protects the public against loss due to theft of trust funds. This encourages the public to utilize services provided by legal practitioners with confidence. AFF’s primary purpose is to compensate clients of attorneys who have experienced financial loss from the theft of money or property entrusted to an attorney.
The Attorneys Fidelity Fund is committed to legal education through yearly funding to the Law Society of South Africa (LSSA) for Legal Education and Development programmes and Black Lawyers Association (BLA) for its Legal Education Centre as well as financial assistance to the Law Faculties and Law Clinics at South African universities.
Attorneys Fidelity Fund Bursaries
The Attorneys Fidelity Fund bursaries grant financial support to law faculties at South African universities in order to train more future practitioners and to encourage high standards in legal education. The Fund’s Bursary Committee of the Board of Control exclusively awards and determines the amount of bursary.
Bursaries are only awarded for a maximum period of two years at a South African University. The bursary only covers the tuition fees of a recipient for LLB studies, while a maximum of R8 000 per year, for further studies.
Terms and Conditions of the Bursary:
- Bursary holders must submit an official transcript of academic records to the Fund within three months after the end of each academic year. If the results are deemed unsatisfactory, the Fund’s Board of Control has the right to terminate the bursary.
- Bursary holders must disclose in writing to the Fund regarding any other bursary, grant or financial assistance that he/she is receiving. The Board of Control has the right to either cancel or reduce the amount of the bursary or impose further conditions as it may deem fit.
- Bursary holders must submit a copy of the degree certificate to the Fund after the completion of the LL.B degree.
- The Board of Control reserves the right to withdraw any bursary in the event of non-compliance with the above-mentioned conditions, bursary holders conducting in a manner which may be deemed unworthy by the Board of Control and misuse of the bursary in any way by the bursary holders.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
For LLB Study:
- Minimum qualification of a BA (Law), B Comm (Law), B Iuris or B Proc degree or a similar OR Completion of the first two years of the revised 4-year LLB curriculum
- Currently 2nd year and upwards students
- Proven financial need
- Outstanding academic merit
For Further Study:
- Practicing or candidate attorney
- Applicants who wish to continue study for an LL.D, Ph.D. or MPIL degree at a South African university to improve professional qualifications
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the appropriate application form:
- Alternatively, send Mr. Shawn Africa a letter via post, fax or e-mail to request a prescribed application form using the contact details indicated in the Contact Details section of this post.
- Accompany your application form with certified copies of the following documents:
- Passport size photo, to be attached to the application form
- South African ID
- Official transcript of records
- Latest recommendation letter from the Dean of Faculty of Law of the institution where the applicant is studying.
- Send your applications through post or hand delivery. Faxed or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Usually 15 August each year.
Mr Shawn Africa
Attorneys Fidelity Fund
Address: 5th Floor Waalburg Building 28 Wale Street Cape Town, 8001
Post: P O Box 3062 Cape Town, 8000 Docex 154 Cape Town
Tel: 021 424 4608
Fax: 086 434 7299
E-mail: [email protected]