The Bheki Mlangeni Memorial Scholarship is offered by the Cheadle Thompson & Haysom Inc. law firm to certain students in South Africa. Each year, students apply for the scholarship, and the law firm covers the cost of their education. In this article, learn who is eligible for the Bheki Mlangeni Memorial Scholarship, what it is about, and how to apply for it.
History of Bheki Mlangeni Memorial Scholarship
Before applying for the scholarship, it’s worth getting knowledgeable about its history.
As already mentioned, the scholarship is awarded by the Cheadle Thompson & Haysom Inc. Attorneys. And it’s named after Bhekisizwe Godfrey Mlangeni, an employee of the law firm working in their legal team.
Described as inspirational and a leader, he was also an activist who was assassinated when at work for the firm. He was indirectly a target of a bombing attack that targeted Dirk Coetzee. But under certain circumstances, he ended up losing his life.
His death had major consequences on the law firm and how it operated. Since then, they have grown massively and expanded their client base. And they also recognize Bheki’s courage and commitment to make South Africa a better and diverse place.
As a tribute to Bheki Mlangeni and to keep his legacy going, Cheadle Thompson & Haysom Inc. offers a scholarship to law students in the black community worth R30,000.
The law firm also sees this scholarship as a way to draw strength from the past and maintain the founding principle, which is based on human rights and labor law.
It’s awarded to certain students every year. Eligible students can avail the scholarship to complete their law education.
Who can apply for This Scholarship?
To apply for this scholarship, students must meet the eligibility criteria laid out by the law form granting it. Here are the requirements the applicants must meet:
- They must be in pursuit of an LLB degree from a recognized university.
- At the time of writing, the universities recognized are the University of Witwatersrand or the University of the Western Cape.
- They must be entering their final year of study.
- They must be ethnically black.
- They must have financially in need.
- They must demonstrate their commitment and passion towards legal qualification.
- They must be driven by a goal that focuses on the advancement of social justice.
- They must be proficient in South African Labour Law, Constitutional Law, and/or Administrative Law.
Before applying for the scholarship, ensure that you meet all the requirements to avoid rejection. Since the law firm receives a high number of applications, they only want to pick the best-suited candidates.
How to Apply?
Once you’ve verified that you meet the eligibility criteria, you should move ahead with the application process.
You should start with gathering all the documents necessary for the scholarship. The documents requested by the firm for this scholarship are:
- Personal ID documents
- Academic certificates and records
- A letter of motivation that states why you are an ideal candidate to avail this scholarship
- An updated CV which includes your student number
- Reference letters (minimum two, signed and verified)
So get started with preparing certified copies of each document.
Once you’re done with it, electronically mail the documents to the university coordinators.
For the University of Witwatersrand, the email address you need to send the scanned documents to is “firstname.lastname@example.org”
For applicants at the University of Western Cape, “email@example.com”
In the subject line, mention, “Bheki Mlangeni Scholarship Application”
After you’ve successfully submitted the docs, wait for the response from their end.
Other Things to Note
When applying for the scholarship, there are a few things you should know. These are:
- There’s a closing date for this scholarship, which is 18th September 2021. You must apply by this date to avoid rejection.
- For any queries, you can contact the scholarship granter at “firstname.lastname@example.org.”
- If you are selected for the scholarship, Cheadle Thompson & Hayson Inc. may ask you to partake in the vacation work program.
- You might be asked to sign a form that’d authorized third-party firms outside the university to access your records.
- Incomplete applications are rejected without consideration.
The scholarship is indeed an excellent initiative by the law firm towards the black community.
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on June 19, 2021)