Many organizations and institutions in South Africa offer scholarships to aspiring students who lack the financial means to support their academic goals. Such bursaries are a great initiative that helps students to follow their career dreams and build a bright future.
The Canon Collins-Joel Joffe scholarship is one such program that aids needy students to pursue their education in the field of law. If you wish to receive this scholarship then this article will provide you with in-depth information about the same.
About Canon Collins-Joel Joffe
The history of the Canon Collins scholarship dates back to as early as 1981. They have been assisting students from 14 countries with undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The trust is known to have supported 4000 scholars to study in South Africa, Ireland, the U.K, and Malawi.
Joel Joffe is remembered as the lawyer who supported Nelson Mandela in the 1963/4 Rivonia trial. He is also known to have played a crucial role in the struggle for democracy for South Africa. The union of Canon Collins and Joel Joffe aims to encourage others to strive in the way of realizing human rights and reducing poverty.
About the : Joel Joffe LLB Scholarships
The Canon Collins-Joel Joffe bursary program is designed for third-year students who are studying law at the University of Western Cape or the University of Fort Hare. Every year 4 to 5 students are shortlisted to receive the bursary for studying towards the last year of LLB.
Those students who complete the graduation will be required to take up the paid internship at Equal Education Law Center or Legal Resources Center. Through the bursary program, students can also grab the opportunity to enhance their leadership and academic skills by participating in the events organized by the trust.
The bursary provides the following to the qualifying students:
- R40 000 for the last year of LLB
- Paid internship for 5 months after completion of LLB
- Participation in events to improve the leadership skills and academic performance
- The bursary will cover part-time, full-time, and distance learning students
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
To receive the Canon Collins-Joel Joffe scholarship the following eligibility criteria are laid down that must be met by the students. Students who fail to meet the eligibility requirements will be disqualified.
- One must be a South African national residing in South Africa
- Students must be studying at the University of Fort Hare or the University of Western Cape
- One should have a strong academic record
- Students must be active in extra-curricular activities
- Students must be in their 3rd year of LLB and must be starting their 4th year in 2022
How to apply?
While applying for the bursary students must follow these steps:
Step 1: Read the Joel Joffe Scholarship Guidelines 2022 carefully before filling the application form
Step 2: One must first register an account
Step 3: After successful registration, one must log in to begin applying
Along with the application form, students must attach the following documents. Only those applications will be considered that are accompanied by the required documents.
- A certified copy of the birth certificate, ID document, passport, or driver’s license
- Certified copy of the full academic record
- A certified copy of degree certificates must be provided
- A letter of reference stating your strength and weakness, your academic capacity, and the potential to impact the future, etc.
The following criteria are laid down for the selection of students for this bursary.
- Students must exhibit strong and excellent academic records in the completed years of study
- Candidates applying for this bursary must provide references who can attest to their studies
- Applicants are required to showcase a strong interest in serving the community and contributing to the prosperity of South Africa
- One must prove how they developed leadership qualities at the workplace, in studies, and their personal life
- Those students who have work experience in the field of study whether paid or voluntary will be given preference over others
The last date of application is 4 October 2021 at 17:00
If you have any queries related to the bursary, you can contact Canon Collins at the following:
Telephone: +44 7748 722 482
Telephone: +44 7407 412 541
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com
Please do NOT contact Canon Collins Trust if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on September 30, 2021)