Having talented and just leaders in the nation is a sign of its progressive nature. By encouraging the youth of the nation to actively participate in the legal sector of the country a nation can lay the foundation of a strong and just legal system.
If you are keen to pursue a career in the field of law and need financial assistance then the Canon Collin trust Leigh day bursary program can be the right one for you. In this article, we shall shed light on the details of this scholarship program and tell you how to avail of it.
About Canon Collins Trust & Leigh Day
The Canon Collins Trust has been providing scholarships to deserving students since 1981. It has strived to assist talented individuals and helped them to secure a bright and rewarding future.
To date, it has supported 4000 students from 14 different countries and continues to do so. The trust offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in South Africa, Ireland, the UK, and Malawi.
Leigh Day is a law firm that operates in London and was established in the year 1987. The firm is renowned for personal injury and human rights law. It has maintained a dignified image of itself by undertaking even the most complex issues and challenges.
About the Canon Collins-Leigh Day LLB Bursary Program
The Canon Collins-Leigh day bursary program is established to help students who are keen to make a career in the field of law. Students studying towards LLB qualification and are in the 2nd or 3rd year can apply for the bursary 2022.
Each year 4 to 5 students are chosen by the trust and are provided with a scholarship for 2 years. Students who are selected for the bursary are required to attend conferences and other events arranged by the trust and contribute towards the trust’s network.
Selected students receive a scholarship to the value of R40 000 which is paid directly into the student’s account. It covers the cost of tuition fees and any remaining funds will contribute towards the cost of books accommodation, and purposes related to the studies.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
To qualify for the scholarship program, students need to fulfill the eligibility criteria set by the trust. Students who do not meet the eligibility criteria will be disqualified.
- One must be a national/refugee of the following countries:
- South Africa
- One must be pursuing an LLB qualification at the University of Western Cape or University of Fort Hare
- One must be studying in the 2nd year or 3rd year towards a full-time or part-time course. Students opting for distance education are also eligible for the scholarship
- Students must have a strong academic performance
- Students must actively participate in extra-curricular activities
- Applicants must be in their 3rd or 4th year of studies in 2022
The following selection criterion is laid down by the trust:
- Students providing references to attest their studies will be shortlisted
- Candidates are required to showcase how their leadership skills have developed at the workplace, during studies, or at the workplace
- Students having paid or voluntary work experience will be preferred over others
- Applicants should exhibit a strong interest in contributing towards the betterment of the community and South Africa
- One must have an impressive academic record
How to apply?
Before applying for the bursary, students must read through the application guidelines. This guide gives detailed information about the bursary and also outlines the correct way to fill the online application.
Students must submit their applications online here.
One should first register an account and then log in to proceed with the application form. The applicants are required to attach specified documents along with the application form.
- Certified copy of ID document, passport, driver’s license, or birth certificate
- Certified copy of degree certificates
- Reference letters outlining your academic strengths, potential to impact the future, capacity to study, etc.
- Certified copy of academic transcripts
- Students whose applications are accepted will be notified of the same in the month of
- Shortlisted candidates are required to attend an interview session.
The last date of application is 4 October 2021 at 15.00 GMT. Applications submitted after the deadline won’t be considered.
For any queries related to the scholarship, students can contact the trust on the following:
Phone: +44 7748 722 482
Phone: +44 7407 412 541
Email: Scholarships@canoncollins.org/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do NOT contact Canon Collins Trust if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on September 30, 2021)