About the University of Limpopo
The University of Limpopo was formed by the merger between the Medical University of South Africa and University of the North in 1 January 2005. The previous institutions then came to form the University’s MEDUNSA campus and Turfloop campus, respectively. The MEDUNSA campus split in 2015 gave rise to the Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University.
Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programm 2021
The University of Limpopo’s Department of Research Administration and Development is inviting suitable candidates to apply for its Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programme (BM-NHSP) 2021 intake. The scholarship programme is a project of the National Health Research Committee, and is in partnership with the National Department of Health, South African Medical Research Council, and the Public Health Enhancement Fund.
The objective of the BM-NHSP is to provide funding for the education of 1,000 PhDs in the field of health and clinical research over the course of 10 years. The coverage of the funding is applicable to the prescribed time it takes to complete a PhD. The programme also aims to build capacity in the following priority research areas:
- Mental health
- Rural health
- Violence, injury, and trauma
- Digital health
Scholarship Requirements and Eligibility
- Preferably holding a master’s or MBChB degree
- Currently in the 2nd year of PhD pursuing qualification in any of the following fields:
- Digital Health
- Data Science
- Health Economics
- Must be a South African citizen or holding permanent residency status
- PhD research proposal must already be approved
- A registered full-time PhD student (2nd, 3rd, 4th year, preferably)
- Able to furnish a written commitment of participation from an experienced research supervisor amenable to train the candidate for the duration of the degree
- Research supervisor must have access to research funding to use for the project and suitable facilities for the candidate to carry out the PhD research project
How to Apply and Application Details
Eligible candidates will need to fill out the online application form. Additional documents needed to complete the application must be sent via email. Click the link below to start the online application process.
Apply online for the Bongani Mayosi National Health Scholars Programm 2021.
The requisite additional requirements must be sent via email to:
Ms. Colleen Van Wyk
Tel: 021 938 0384
Late or incomplete applications are unacceptable.
The closing date for applications is Thursday, 15 April 2021 at 23:59.
Dr. Lindokuhle Nlandla
Tel: 021 938 0442
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on July 15, 2021)