About Western Cape Department of Health
The Western Cape Department of Health delivers a comprehensive package of health services to the people of the province. Health services include child health, emergency medical services, family planning, forensic pathology services, women’s health, TB and HIV/AIDS, men’s health, psychiatric services and home-based care.
Western Cape Department of Health Bursaries
The Western Cape Department of Health bursaries provides financial support for full-time study each year in critical health science fields. Some of these fields may include Nursing, Medical (MBChB), Pharmacy, Radiography and Emergency medical care. More health science study fields may be added or removed per academic depending on the Department’s needs.
Bursars holders are expected to submit all academic progress and results to the Department. Upon graduation, the bursary holders will have the obligation to work for the Department on a year for a year basis.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizen and resident of the Western Cape
- Registered at the relevant accredited Higher Education Institution (HEI)
How to Apply and Application Details
- Apply at Higher Education Institutes (HEI) for your required qualification
- Obtain bursary application from at HEI financial aid office or apply online at www.westerncape.gov.za/healthbursary
- Include the following necessary documents together with the application form:
- RSA ID
- Previous highest academic year’s results or Matric certificate. If currently in Matric, submit Grade 12 results for the month of June
- Proof of disability, if disabled
- Proof of residence
- Proof of household income. No affidavit’s will be accepted.
- Letter of motivation for bursary. Address letter to the Bursary Committee
- Hand delivers the application form with documents back to the following financial aid office:
UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN CAPE (UWC)
Ms E Seleke
021 959 9754
Attention: Ms E Seleke, Financial Aid Office Private Bag X17 Bellville 7535
CAPE PENINSULA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY (CPUT)
- B Tech Nursing Science
- Emergency Medical Care
Contact Person: Mr Claasen
021 959 6253
Attention: Mr Claasen, Financial Aid Library Extension P.o. Box 1906 Bellville 7535
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN (UCT)
Contact Person: Mr Z Baker
021 650 3632
Attention: Mr Z Baker, Student Financial Aid Level 3, Wilfred And Jules Kramer Building, Cross Campus Road, Middle Campus Uct, Rondebosch 7700
UNIVERSITY OF STELLENBOSCH (US)
Contact Person: Neliswa Sigonyela
021 938 9458
Attention: Ms N Sigonyela, Faculty Of Health Science, Po Box 19063, Tygerberg, 7505
Applicants for MBChB at a university outside the province must send the application forms directly to the Western Cape Government: Health.
Tel: 021 483 6610
Email: [email protected]