About Poliomyelitis Research Foundation
The Poliomyelitis Research Foundation (PRF) originated in the late 1940s and is a non-profit organization governed by the Board of Trustees, together with a Scientific Advisory Panel. The Foundation is focused on the advancement in the area of virology by through research development. PRF has distributed more than R 144,000,0000 in research funds which includes activities such as major impact projects, research, travel, bursary programme, post-doc fellowship, James Gear International Fellowship as well as other research projects like PRF training center and conference.
Poliomyelitis Research Foundation Bursaries 2024
The PRF grants bursaries towards obtaining BS for an honours, Masters and PhD degrees.
Bursaries are generally awarded only to South African citizens and a limited number of bursaries may be awarded to non-South African candidates.
The PRF bursary does not give support for applicants who are full-time employees or any salary-receiving employees.
Research project cannot be changed without PRF permit once the bursary has been awarded. Applicants from historically disadvantaged communities will be given preference.
Applications are evaluated based on the following research project criteria:
- The project should have emphasis on laboratory or epidemiological virus research rather than on clinical research of virus diseases.
- The project should be relevant to human viral diseases in South Africa and should have a potential impact on health in South Africa.
- Project innovation and clarity of the research hypothesis
- Track record and contribution of the applicant in the project
- Resources available for the Project
- Achievability of the project
- Budget requirements as well as other funding resources available
- Realistic disease interventions which could affect the reduction of illness
Grants may run for 3 years and should be renewed through application accompanied with details of project results achieved and papers published and presented at congresses for the second and third academic year to the PRF.
PRF Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Minimum 60% average
- Disadvantaged applicants are preferred
- South African citizens individuals with permanent resident status are preferred
How to Apply and Application Details
Bursary application must need to submit online. Follow the steps below to start the online application process:
Step 1: complete an online application:
- PRF Bursary Application: BSc (Hons)
- PRF Bursary Application: MSc (NEW applications)
- PRF Bursary Application: MSc (RENEWAL)
- PRF Bursary Application: PhD (NEW applications)
- PRF Bursary Application: PhD (RENEWAL)
Download and Complete the relevant PRF Bursary applicable from:
For New Application:
For Renew Application:
Step 2: Supporting documents to attach along with your completed application form:
For the new applicant:
- A certified copy of your ID document
- A certified copy of your proof of permanent residency if not a South African citizen
- Full tertiary academic record, including most recent results on the institute’s letterhead
- Curriculum Vitae, including publications (maximum 2 pages)
- The full scope of your proposed research project
- Literature review
- Supervisor’s written support
- Completed Grants Application Signatory Form (.pdf)
For renewal applicant (current bursary recipients):
- Most recent academic record on the institute’s letterhead
- MSc applicants: completed Grants Application Signatory Form (.pdf)
- Supervisor’s written support
(Insert the words “PRF Bursary Application”, followed by “BSc (Hons)” or “MSc” or “PhD” in the email subject line).
Closing Date Of The PRF Bursary
15 September and 28 February Each Year.
Contact Details Of The Bursar
Scientific Advisory Panel of the PRF
Address: 1 Modderfontein Road Sandringham Johannesburg
Post: C/O the National Institute for Communicable Diseases Private Bag X4 Sandringham 2131
Telephone: +27 11 555-0395
Fax: +27 86 758 3326
For those of you who want to see all LATEST BURSARIES
CLICK HERE For: Latest Bursaries
If the bursary has already been closed, please do not make any queries. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/