About Canon Collins
Canon Collins Trust was founded in 1981 and since then became a community of researches and activists to create change and social impact. The trust was established by Canon John Collins, who was best known for social movements such as Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament, Christian Action and the British Anti Apartheid Movement, through his British Defence and Aid Fund for Southern Africa. Cannon Collins Trust focuses on education and human rights to empower individuals in the southern African society.
Canon Collins Thekgo Bursaries
The Canon Collins Thekgo Fund was established by a group of professionals with an objective of promoting access to higher education. The bursary scheme pays for the initial registration fee for successful applicants to allow them to enroll at tertiary institutions. The programme also helps students access to alternative funding support.
Thekgo bursaries accept postgraduate and undergraduate level in the following disciplines:
- Languages and Literature
- Media Studies
- Gender Studies
- Arts (Digital Arts, Drama/Performance Studies, Visual Arts/Fine Arts, History of Art, Film and Television Studies, Music)
Bursaries will only be awarded to students at public universities in Limpopo and North-West provinces such as University of Limpopo, University of Venda and University of North-West. About 5-7 bursaries of up to R7500 per year will be given base on the number of applicants.
For more information about the Thekgo bursary, check this guidelines.
Canon Collins Thekgo Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Citizen/national of or have refugee status in any African country
- First-year undergraduate or postgraduate full-time students at a university in Limpopo and North-West provinces, South Africa in 2018 academic year
- Good academic performance
- Students of Languages and Literature, Media Studies, Gender Studies, Education and Arts
- Proven financial need
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the Canon Collins Thekgo Bursary Application Form. (pdf)
- Accompany the following supporting documents with your application form:
- Certified copy of ID/passport
- University admission letter including the amount of registration fee
- Proof of financial need such as payslips, bank statement and/or affidavit of financial situation
- Proof of having applied for the other relevant bursaries/scholarships, if applicable
- Copy of Senior Certificate, degree or other certificates
- Academic transcripts
- CV (Include education gaps, study breaks and non-academic activities such as community engagement or non-formal learning, if applicable)
- Applicants are also encouraged to submit the following supporting material:
- Department/faculty letter supporting the application
- Digital portfolio of creative work for applicants in the creative arts fields such as Visual Arts, Music, Textile, Fashion, Music, etc.
- Email complete applications and documents to [email protected]
Currently closed for applications.
Reopen in November 2018
Close on, 16 December 2018 11 pm GMT
Email: [email protected]