Students who have an inclination towards fashion can take full advantage of the bursary offered by Gert-Johan Coetzee. If you are from a disadvantaged background but passionate about your career then this bursary can help you to climb up the success ladder.
About Gert-Johan Coetzee
Gert-Johan Coetzee is a South African fashion designer who is renowned for using celebrities to highlight social issues, mainly concerning women. He shot to fame when he met Thando Hopa and used his condition of albinism as his theme for the collection.
Together with Thando Hopa, he focused on the issue of albinism and together strived to combat the plight of such people who were discriminated based on superstition for the disease.
Another highlight of Gert-Johan Coetzee is his partnership with Shout, an organization that highlights the rising violence faced by South African Women.
Gert-Johan Coetzee Bursaries 2021: An Overview
To encourage the participation of the nation’s youth in the field of fashion, Gert-Johan has been offering bursaries for the last seven years. He has partnered with North West school of design and offers 2 bursaries to students.
The Fashion Design Bursary
This bursary is valued at R182 000 and will cover the following expenses:
- Tuition fees for 3 years
- Sewing machine
- Sponsorship from Bernina SA
- Laptop worth R10 000
Under this bursary, students will not receive any assistance for accommodation, transportation, and meals.
The Fashion Communication Bursary
The amount covered under this bursary is R170 000. It covers the following expenditure on behalf of the students:
- Tuition fees for 3 years
- Laptop worth R10 000
There is no coverage for meals, accommodation, and transportation in this bursary.
Aim of the Bursary:
The main motive behind the establishment of this bursary is to allow the students to enter into the fashion industry, grow in their careers, and make a name for themselves. The theme for this bursary is “Style Tribes: Subcultures”
Students enrolling in this field are required to undertake studies for 3 years at North West School of Design, in Klerksdorp. Additionally, the students who receive the bursary need to complete a minimum of 2 internship programs each year at Gret-Johan Coetzee studios.
Both Fashion Design and Fashion Communication qualification helps the students in gaining vast knowledge in the field of apparel construction, fashion illustration, pattern drafting/manipulation, and CAD.
Bursary Eligibility Criteria
To receive this bursary, students should satisfy the following eligibility criteria.
- Students must be a citizen of South Africa
- One must be well versed in writing and speaking English
- Students must either be in Matric or should have completed Matric
- Applicants must begin their studies in January 2022 at the North West School of Design
- One must be willing to stay in Klerksdorp for 3 years while studying
- Students must possess dedication, passion, and a good attitude
- One must have a natural inclination towards fashion
- Students must be prepared to work hard
The failure to meet the above-mentioned eligibility criteria can lead to the rejection of the student’s bursary application.
The bursary program follows a selection process through which the applicants will be filtered and the best ones will make it to the North West School of Design
How to apply?
Students can apply for their desired bursary online through the following links.
- The Fashion Design Bursary
- The Fashion Communication Bursary
The online application form must be filled in carefully and all the information must be provided correctly. In addition to the application form, students should attach a copy of the following documents.
For Fashion Design Bursary
- A certified copy of the ID document/ ID Card (both sides)
- Latest certified copy of Matric results, if students are in Matric
- Certified Matric certificates if Matric is completed
- 2 fashion designs on any style tribe along with fashion sketches on A4 size, full color, and maximum 5MB each
- A mood board with a college has to be attached that depicts which subcultures and aesthetics inspired your design (maximum 5 MB)
For Fashion Communication Bursary
- Certified copy of ID proof or both sides of ID card
- Matric results latest copy (certified)
- Matric certificate if Matric completed
- 200 words essay writing covering the topic, ”Why you should receive the bursary and how will you impact the SA fashion world if selected”
- Students should also provide mood board with a collage. The collage should show the subcultures and aesthetics that inspired your design (maximum 5 MB)
The closing date for the bursary competition ends on 11 October 2021 , whereby semi-finalists will be selected by Gert-Johan Coetzee and telephonically contacted by North West School of Design by the 19th of October 2021
For any question or queries related to the Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion bursary programme, please contact North West School of Design (NWSD) directly at:
Telephone: 018 462 5149/ 083 639 9790
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Please do NOT contact North West School of Design (NWSD) if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/