Just like the other sectors of an economy, the film and entertainment sector also plays a crucial role in the progress of a nation. Having talented artists and creative individuals can contribute greatly to the success of the industry.
A large number of skilled youth fail to pursue a career of their choice due to financial instability. Thus, an industry may miss out on young and creative talent. To encourage and lend a helping hand to the youth who want to make a career in the film and entertainment industry the KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission bursary was started.
If you are one of those individuals who want to make a career in this industry then this bursary can provide the required assistance.
About KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission
The KZNFC came into existence in the year 2010 as per the provincial act. It was established to make South Africa a center for film production and entertainment. The vision of this organization is to form a competitive, sustainable, and globally recognized film industry in South Africa.
Among the objectives of this organization are job creations, being a catalyst for development, and promoting KwaZulu-Natal. The partners of this organization include the following:
- Department of trade and industry
- Department of Economic Development, Tourism, and Environmental Affairs
- National Film and Video Foundation
- Industrial Development Corporation
- Tourism KZN
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife
- Trade & Investment KwaZulu-Natal
- Dube Tradeport and Three Cities
About KZNFC Bursary Program
Since there is a shortage of talented and skilled individuals within the South African film industry, the KZNFC bursary program was established in the year 2014 to address this problem and assist interested individuals.
Students who are interested in making a career in the film industry should apply for this bursary program and fulfill their goals.
This bursary is awarded for studying in the following fields:
- Animation studies(undergraduate and postgraduate)
- TV/Film studies (Only undergraduate)
It is important for students to note that acting qualifications are not covered under this bursary program.
The KZNFC bursary covers the following expenses
- Registration fees
- Tuition fees
The bursary is aimed at covering the expenses of one academic year at a time. To avail funds for the subsequent year, students should reapply.
To qualify for the bursary, students should fulfill the eligibility criteria set by the organization. If one fails to meet the requirements his application will not be considered.
- Students must be South African citizens
- One must either be in Matric or must have completed Matric
- Applicant must be residing within the KwaZulu-Natal province
- Students must have a strong and impressive academic record
- One must be willing to study or should be registered at a recognized tertiary institution in KwaZulu-Natal
- Students should have an inclination for studying towards TV/film and animation-related fields with minimum NQF level 6
- Students with disabilities and those with previously the disadvantaged backgrounds will be given preference
- One should have a goal of pursuing a career within the TV production/film or animation field.
How to apply?
Students can apply for the bursary by filling up the KwaZulu Natal Film Commission Bursary application form. Along with the application form, applicants should submit copies of the following documents.
- Certified ID document
- Matric students can submit the June Matric results (certified)
- Those who have passed Matric should submit a Matric certificate
- Acceptance letter on the letterhead of the tertiary institution in KwaZulu-Natal
- Latest academic record if students are currently in Matric
- 2022 fee schedule of the tertiary institute on the letterhead
- Proof of disability (for disabled students)
- Proof of income of parents/guardians not older than 3 months
- If parents are separated/divorced, students should submit a maintenance order/affidavit
- A motivational letter, stating why you deserve this bursary and why you chose this particular field of study. Students may also attach details of their awards, academic achievements, etc.
- If any of the above-mentioned documents are missing, then the application of the student will be rejected and he/she will be disqualified for the bursary.
- Students can mail the application form and the specified documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the email subject line, applicants must mention the words, “KZN Film Commission Bursary-Students full name”
The last date of application is 15 October 2021
Students can contact the institute for any queries related to the bursary on the following:
Telephone: 031 003 9000
Contact page: https://kznfilm.co.za/contact-us/
Please do NOT contact KZNFC if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on September 30, 2021)