About Gert-Johan Coetzee
Gert-Johan Coetzee, a well-known celebrity fashion designer from South Africa, specialises in red carpet gowns and wedding gowns. Kourtney Kardashian, Liezel van der Westhuizen, Kristen Cavallari, Bonang Matheba, Sashi Naidoo, Basetsana Khumalu, Tatum Keshwar, Cindy Nell, Louise Carver, Noeleen, and several other international and local celebrities have all been dressed by Coetzee for various red carpet occasions.
For the past nine years, Gert-Johan Coetzee and the North West School of Design (NWSD) have granted bursaries to deserving students in an effort to develop the South African fashion industry and support students who want to pursue careers in the industry.
Gert-Johan Coetzee Bursary 2022 – 2023
Gert-Johan Coetzee, affiliated with North West School of Design, invites students to apply for the Fashion Design Scholarship for the 2023 academic year.
The scholarship is for students who want to study fashion design at the North West School of Design located in Klerksdorp. Students will obtain a wide range of skills including fashion illustration, garment making, drafting pattern and manipulation, fashion retail, and computer-aided design.
The scholarship theme is Style Tribes. : subcultures”, meaning that “in any organized society, people are often drawn to a particular style, tribe, or subculture. A fashion subculture is a group of people
The bursary will provide the following benefits:
- Cost of tuition for three years.
- A Bernette-Chicago 5 sewing machine.
Note: There will be no facilities/funds for accommodation, meals or transport.
Please check the information below regarding the selection of bursary recipient:
- Gert-Johan Coetzee will choose the semi-finalists, and Charles Oosthuizen from the NWSD will get in touch with them by phone on or before 26 September 2022.
- An activity must be finished and turned in by no later than 10 October 2022, by the semifinalists.
- The announcement of the finalists will be on 15 October 2022. They must travel to Klerksdorp for the North West School of Design’s Platinum Fashion Festival.
- An announcement of the bursary recipient will be on 5 November 2022.
Candidates must check the eligibility criteria before applying for the scholarship. There should not be any exceptions.
- You must be a resident of South Africa.
- You must be enrolled in or have already completed high school.
- You must plan to enrol full-time in the North West School of Design’s three-year Fashion Design programme in Klerksdorp.
- You must speak English well (written and spoken)
- You must be dedicated, passionate, and driven with a positive attitude.
- You must possess a strong sense of style.
How to Apply?
The candidates must apply for the scholarship online. Click here to apply: Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion Bursary Application 2023
You must submit all the below documents along with the application form. There should not be any false or missing documents.
- Certified copy of ID documents.
- Certified copy of Latest Matric results if pursuing Matric currently.
- Certified copy of Matric certificate.
- 2 Fashion designs, including fashion sketches, that are inspired by any style tribe (A4 size, maximum 5MB each and full colour).
- collaged mood board showcasing the aesthetics and subcultures that influenced your designs (maximum 5 MB).
The application deadline is 23 September 2022. You must submit the application before the closing date.
Candidates can contact North West School of Design for any queries regarding the bursary via the following means:
- Telephone: 018 462 5149
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/