Just like the other sectors of an economy, the film and entertainment sector also plays a crucial role in the progress of a nation. Having talented artists and creative individuals can contribute greatly to the success of the industry.
A large number of skilled youth fail to pursue a career of their choice due to financial instability. Thus, an industry may miss out on young and creative talent. To encourage and lend a helping hand to the youth who want to make a career in the film and entertainment industry the KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission bursary was started.
If you are one of those individuals who want to make a career in this industry then this bursary can provide the required assistance.
About KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission
The KZNFC came into existence in the year 2010 as per the provincial act. It was established to make South Africa a center for film production and entertainment. The vision of this organization is to form a competitive, sustainable, and globally recognized film industry in South Africa.
Among the objectives of this organization are job creations, being a catalyst for development, and promoting KwaZulu-Natal. The partners of this organization include the following:
- Department of trade and industry
- Department of Economic Development, Tourism, and Environmental Affairs
- National Film and Video Foundation
- Industrial Development Corporation
- Tourism KZN
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife
- Trade & Investment KwaZulu-Natal
- Dube Tradeport and Three Cities
KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission (KZNFC) Bursary 2024
The KZNFC bursary program was established in 2014 to combat the skills deficit within KwaZulu-Natal’s film industry. The KwaZulu-Natal Film Commission now welcomes students to apply for their 2024 academic year bursary programme.
Bursaries will be granted for academic pursuits in KwaZulu-Natal, covering the following areas of study:
- Studies related to Animation (at Undergraduate and Postgraduate level)
- Film and Television Production (at Undergraduate level)
Candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements before applying. Kindly be aware that an inability to fulfill all these prerequisites will result in your application not being evaluated:
- You must be a citizen of South Africa
- The applicant must be residing in the KwaZulu-Natal province
- You should have successfully graduated from Matric or be currently enrolled in Matric.
- Your field of study should be in TV and Film Production or Animation, or you should have intentions to pursue a qualification in these fields.
- You must attend or plan to enroll in a recognized and accredited public tertiary institution in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Priority will be given to students with disabilities and those historically disadvantaged.
How to Apply?
Download the application form KZN Film Commission Bursary Application Form 2024 and complete it.
Please submit your applications via email to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly write “KZN Film Bursary Application” in your email subject line while submitting the application.
Please provide legible copies of the following documents in addition to your fully filled bursary application form. The submission of these documents is mandatory. Failure to include any required items may result in the disqualification of your application.
- Certified copy of your ID document
- Certified copy of your Matric June 2023 results
- Certified copy of your Matric certificate if you’ve completed Matric
- Certified copy of your full academic record/transcripts if you’re currently studying
- Registration/acceptance proof at a tertiary institution in KwaZulu-Natal (on letterhead of the institution)
- The fee schedule of the institution (on the letterhead of the institution)
- Household income proof of your parents or guardians (recent payslips or an employment verification letter for employed individuals/SASSA grant proof if applicable/pension statement if receiving a pension/affidavit if currently unemployed, etc.) (must be dated within the past 3 months)
- If applicable, a letter from a doctor as proof of disability
- Motivational letter explaining your choice of field of study and why you should be considered for the bursary, including details of achievements or academic awards/prizes if applicable
The application deadline is 27 October 2023. Applications received after this specified date will not be considered. To have your application reviewed, please make sure to apply before the closing date.
If you have any questions or need further information about this bursary programme, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the KZN Film Commission directly.
Telephone: 031 003 9000
Contact page: https://kznfilm.co.za/contact-us/
Please do NOT contact KZNFC if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/