For the Academic Year 2021, South Africa’s National Research Foundation (NRF), the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI), and the Netherland Organization for Internationalization in Education represented by Nuffic’s Netherlands Education Support Office in South Africa offer the NRF-Nuffic Doctoral Scholarships. The official call for these will get launched in April 2021 for funding in the year 2022.
NRF-Nuffic Doctoral Scholarships 2021
The scholarship aims to support doctoral candidates for them to pursue their studies in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and Humanities and the Social Sciences including Priority Research Areas at the participating universities. The scholarships will give 80% support for students in the disciplines of STEM and the other 20% to Humanities and the Social Sciences.
Preference will go to applicants who plan to obtain a Doctoral degree in a vulnerable discipline like Mathematics, Nursing, or Statistics, in emerging research areas, or where there is a shortage of research infrastructure or suitably qualified supervisors in the country.
NRF-Nuffic Doctoral Scholarships 2021 Requirements and Eligibility
To qualify for the scholarship, interested applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
Must be citizens of South Africa (priority) or permanent residents with a South African ID number
Must be 32 years old or younger on the 31st of December of the year they apply for the scholarship
Must intend to pursue Doctoral studies full-time in the Academic Year 2021
Must be a South African resident at the time of the funding approval
Must meet the academic requirement for Doctoral studies (at least 65% at the Masters level)