About South African Association of Botanists
The South African Association of Botanists (SAAB) was founded for the promotion and development of Botany. It aims to support and sustain the state of this industry in all sectors of the population. The association promotes diversity and is committed to removing any restrictions to the practice of the profession.
SAAB represents a variety of academic botanical disciplines and its members are located at different South African universities, academic and research institutions. Members are actively involved in various aspects related to botany in their home institutions.
The association has an active organization of student members which are encouraged to participate on the annual congress. Students who attended the SAAB Conference become automatic members of SAAB and receive the SAABNet emails for the year in which they participated in the congress. SAABnet serves as the communication medium of SAAB matters. Only subscribed members will be able to send and receive emails via SAABNet.
South African Association of Botanists Scholarship
The South African Association of Botanists grants SAAB Scholarships to SADEC graduates with 70% or above grade average every year. Three awards of R10 000 for 1 year of tertiary study at Honours level or 4th year level of study, in any botanically-related science will be given to three enrolled students this year. This will only be given to learners who are studying at a South African institution and are a member or applying to become a member of SAAB. The applicant’s supervisor must be a paid-up member of SAAB.
The SAAB Council also gives one MSc scholarship worth R40 000 each year which is subject to satisfactory academic progress of the recipient. The same terms and conditions apply as for the Honours scholarship.
Scholarship Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizen
- Graduated with a BSc/MSc Honours degree with a minimum grade average of 70%
- Applicants should study in any botanically-related science at a South African institution
- Should be or apply to become a member of SAAB
- Supervisor of the student must be a paid-up member of SAAB
How to Apply and Application Details
Please include the following documents to apply:
- Curriculum Vitae with names of two referees
- Motivation letter from the applicant’s honours/4th year project supervisor
- Academic transcript
- One page motivation letter which includes a description of the applicant’s honours/4th year research interests
- List of other bursaries/scholarships applied for including bursary amount
Send applications via email (in pdf format) to: The Secretary, [email protected]
Late applications will not be considered. Successful candidates will be informed by mid-March of the current academic year.
Opening & Closing Date
27 February 2019
Dr Paul Hills
Email: [email protected]
Tel: (021) 808-3066