About NRF iThemba LABS
iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator Based Sciences (iThemba LABS) is a multidisciplinary research facility of the National Research Foundation. It is based on the development, operation and utilization of particle accelerators and related research equipment. The facilities provide research in subatomic physics, material research, radiobiology as well as research and development of unique radioisotopes for nuclear medicine and industrial applications. Through this, iThemba LABS unites scientists working in the physical, medical and biological sciences. iThemba LABS have several partnerships and joint training programmes with Higher Education Institutions and research laboratories inside and outside South Africa in order to contribute with the human capital development decree of the NRF.
NRF iThemba LABS Bursaries
The National Research Foundation (NRF) promotes research and human capital growth through
financial support. NRF provides science outreach platforms and programmes in all fields of science and technology which includes natural science, engineering, social science and humanities.
iThemba Laboratory is a group of multidisciplinary research laboratories governed by the NRF. iThemba is located at the Western Cape and Gauteng provinces. These laboratories provide basic and applied research using particle beams, particle radiotherapy for the treatment of cancer and the supply of accelerator-produced radionuclides for medical and industrial applications.
NRF iThemba Labs also helps qualified individuals to pursue their tertiary studies through its bursary scheme which covers and pays for the full tuition.
NRF iThemba Labs bursaries accept following disciplines:
- ND / BTech (Electrical Engineering)
- BEng (Electrical and electronic)
- BEng (Mechanical)
- BEng (Mechatronics)
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Second year level tertiary students at an accredited South African tertiary institution
- Minimum of 60% rating in their first year
- Excellent academic merit
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and fill-up the NRF iThemba Bursary Application Form.
- Attach certified copies of the following required documents:
- Valid senior certificate.
- Most recent academic transcript on official letterhead/logo (if already at university or university of technology)
- Valid South African identity document
- Send a complete application form and supporting documents to: email@example.com, for attention Ms. A Groenewald.
Only shortlisted applicants will be communicated.
Opening & Closing Date
[su_highlight background=”#DDFF99″ color=”#000000″ class=””]31 December 2019[/su_highlight]
Address: Old Faure Road, Faure, 7131
Post: PO Box 722, Somerset West, 7129 South Africa
Tel: 021 843 1000
Fax: 021 843 3756