Education is the foundation of a nation’s bright future. By helping financially backward students, the Government of France aids them in fulfilling their career goals. The Embassy of France scholarship is awarded to students of South Africa for completing their degree in any desired field of study.
About the French Embassy
The French Ministry of European and Foreign Affairs and the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation have an international student mobility company known as Campus France. Their main objective is to motivate and reinforce French Higher Education by facilitating high level academic exchange amongst French and global tertiary institutions.
Campus France guides potential candidates, accommodates and supports international researchers and students in France and looks after the scholarship programme by the French Government.
Campus France office in South Africa promotes and supports French higher education amongst the South African youth. It provides comprehensive guidelines and directs the young researchers and students who wish to study in France.
French Embassy France-South Africa Scholarship Programme
The French Embassy in South Africa has annaounced a scholarship programme for Ph.D./Master’s degree studies in France. For this, the agency partners with French businesses cited in South Africa and other South African organizations such as DSI (Department of Science and Innovation), DHET (Department of Higher Education and Training) NRF (National Research Foundation) and USAf (Universities South Africa).
The scholarship programme is for students in South Africa who are interested to study in higher education institutions or universities in France to get a Ph.D. or Master’s degree. South African as well as Lesothan students are eligible to apply for this bursary programme for the academic year 2023.
The French Embassy offers 2 schemes under the France-South Africa scholarship programme:
This scholarship type covers the following aids:
- Tuition fees up to 5000 Euros per year
- Monthly allowance up to 1400 Euros for Ph.D. and 700 Euros for Master’s students
- Return flight ticket to France
- Additional accommodation aid up to 150 Euros/month can be obtained from the French government
Moreover, students also have the status of scholarship-holder by the French government in which they get Visa fee exemption, guidance from Campus France Paris, priority to access student housing along with social security.
Cost Sharing Scholarship
This scholarship scheme covers a monthly allowance for students fully or partially by a partner (a partner can be a company, the Advisory Board, a funding agency or a higher education institution).
All the other remaining benefits of full scholarship are offered by the French Embassy. Candidates can propose for this scheme during the application process or even the Advisory Board can initiate for the scheme for some laureates.
Applicants are encouraged to seek other sources of funding from their local instructions, French higher institutions or also from private companies. If students achieve additional funding, they must inform the French Embassy.
Eligibility Criteria For The Scholarship
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for the scholarship:
- Must be a South African or Lesothan citizen
- Must intend to study a Ph.D. or Master’s degree in their field of choice
- Must be under 33 years of age as of 1 Jan 2022
- Must intend to start studying in September 2023
- Preference will be given to the students who are interested to study in the technology, Engineering and Science field and other niche course that are not available in South Africa
- Must be willing to study at a higher education institution or university in France
The application form is to be submitted online ONLY. It must include the following documents:
For all applicants:
- Completely filled application form (online)
- Latest copy of CV/resume stating student’s entire academic record
- Certified copy of passport
- University transcripts of the previous 2 years of studies
- Cover letter that states the interests and motivations in the academic field chosen
- Copies of academic degree certificates of Master’s or Bachelor’s
For Master’s students:
- Proof of acceptance at one of the study programmes suggested during their application
- During the application process, email correspondence with the higher education institutions in France that will be hosting them.
- List of identified study programmes that the candidates plan on applying to, along with their application dates and tuition fees.
For Ph.D. students:
- An attestation signed by the supervisor indicating their commitment to supervise your thesis. Or, an attestation, in case of co-supervision, signed by two supervisors (French and South African) that indicate their commitment to supervise your thesis in South Africa and France. If under co-supervision, this attestation must signify to establish a cotutelle agreement that enrollment is at both universities and that the student will be awarded a degree by the French higher education institution. Include the complete plan of the various periods planning to be spent in France during the research work.
- Detailed information (2-3 pages long) of the research project including a complete work plan.
- Cost-sharing commitment letter from the correspondent organization
- Language proficiency certificates: French (DALF, DELF, TCF, academic degree, etc.)
- Academic or/and professional recommendation
How to Apply For The Scholarship?
All students must create an account on this website in order to apply for the scholarship. Log in and start the application process.
Before the deadline, students can connect through the website anytime. After submission, it is NOT possible to modify or change the application. Students will receive a delivery status notification via email after the final form submission. Applications submitted after the closing date or incomplete forms will be rejected automatically.
Closing Date Of The Scholarship
The selection process for 2022 is now terminated. A new call for applications will be open in April 2022 and get closed by mid-October 2022. Interview of eligible candidates will be held in November 2022.
For any queries related to this bursary programme, contact French Embassy on their website
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/