Schwarzman Scholarship is one of few scholarships that fully funds selected international students who want to study in China. With the aim of empowering tomorrow’s leaders, the program is highly beneficial for those who wish to explore Chinese culture, policies, and business practices. In this article, learn what the scholarship is all about, how you can apply for it, and the eligibility criteria.
About Schwarzman Scholarship
The scholarship is officially known as the “Schwarzman Scholars Program” offered by the Global Affairs Department of Tsinghua University. Selected students from all around the world are offered to spend a year at a specifically designed college in Beijing, China.
The duration of the program is one year. After the completion, you’re awarded a one-year master’s degree in Public Policy, Economics, and Business.
The graduates of this program are called “Schwarzman Scholars.” Through the one year, they’re taught concepts on a variety of subjects, which include economics, business, public and global affairs, entrepreneurship, and leadership.
Besides the classroom-based core curriculum and elective courses, students are exposed to challenging real-life scenarios.
For example, the scholars live in cohorts at Tsinghua University and take part in student-led activities. This builds strong professional relationships with Chinese and international students.
Here are some of the benefits of the Schwarzman Scholarship program:
- Full funding of the tuition and fees
- Traveling and living in Beijing
- Books and supplies
- In-country study tours
- Health insurance
- Stipend for personal expenses
At the end of the program, you’d have developed into a competent student well-versed in complex international policies. The degree awarded post-completion is of significant value as well.
Schwarzman Scholarship: Eligibility Criteria
The scholarship is awarded to a selected group of students who meet the eligibility criteria. Therefore, you must know what all the requirements are before applying for it.
All students looking forward to the Schwarzman Scholarship must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- Must possess an undergraduate degree from a reputed and recognized university.
- Must have completed the curriculum before August 1, before the beginning of the September session.
- Have a demonstrable track record of excellence throughout the academic years. There isn’t any minimum required GPA, though.
- Must be proficient in the English language. An IELTS score of 7 or a TOEFL PBT score of 600 will be an advantage. These tests will not be necessary if the university you graduated from delivered the courses in English for at least two years.
- Must be within 18-29 years of age at the time of application.
- Marital status is irrelevant to the program, and married candidates are encouraged to apply.
Other than strong academic performance, the scholarship also demands strong interpersonal skills, leadership potential, and risk-taking ability. Since the course commences in China, you must have an interest in learning about foreign cultures and policies.
* RELATED BURSARIES *
- View our other currently open Engineering Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Geology Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Government Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Bursaries and Scholarships OPEN for application here.
The selection process for the scholarship is stringent. Students from around the world vie for the limited seats.
Some of the students are from highly respected universities like Duke, Yale, and Dartmouth. So only the best of the best get selected.
Here’s what the selection process for the Schwarzman scholarship looks like:
Submit an Online Application
The first thing you need to do is prepare and submit an online form. This electronic form can be accessed from your college’s website or at Schwarzman Scholar’s website.
It’s important to fill out the details in English by following the instructions given.
Submit Supporting Documents
The second step is to arrange all the necessary documents required for the application. The documents necessary are:
- Academic records
- Letters of recommendation
- Video introduction
You need to write two essays, one on Leadership and the other on Statement of Purpose. The former should be 750 words and the latter 500 words.
Recommendations should be from authoritative figures in your area who can assert your leadership potential and intellect.
The video should be 1 minute in length, introducing yourself in the best manner possible.
Attach these electronically and submit them along with your application.
Attend an Interview
The final step is to attend an interview conducted by an international panel of leaders. These are conducted in late October and early November. You must demonstrate strong communication skills at these interviews to be selected for the scholarship.
Currently closed for application. Please check back later for the updated opening and closing date of this bursary.
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/