There has been an acute shortage of skilled individuals in South Africa. To bridge this gap, several institutions offer scholarships to deserving students. Bursaries help students to pursue their education in the desired field of study and make a bright future.
One such bursary program is offered by Rhodes University known as the Ada & Bertie Levenstein bursary program. If you are looking out for a bursary program to fund your study then this article can be of much help.
About Rhodes University & Ada & Bertie Levenstein
Rhodes University came into existence in the year 1904 and is located in Grahamstown, Makhanda. Today, Rhodes is counted among the topmost universities in South Africa and is renowned for its academic excellence.
It comprises 8200 students approximately and has proudly maintained a high percentage of distinction and pass rate of undergraduate and graduate students. The university runs several bursary programs including internal and funded ones. Through their programs, they strive to assist underprivileged students who have the ability and passion for studies.
Among the donors at the University are Mr. Elias Bertrand Levenstein & Ada Levenstein. Under their names, the Ada & Bertie Levenstein bursary program was established. Both Bertie and Ada had a deep love for education and knowledge and they supported several needy students to fund their academics.
About the Ada & Bertie Levenstein Bursary Program
The Ada & Bertie bursary program is specifically aimed at assisting those students who belong to a poor background and lack resources to continue their tertiary education. Such students who are talented and have an inclination towards studies shall receive help through this bursary program. They will get a chance to pursue their education at Rhodes University.
Students can opt to study for Honors, Masters, or Doctoral degrees in any field of their choice either intellectual or creative.
The value of bursaries awarded under the Ada & Bertie Levenstein program is as follows:
- Honors Program- R100 000
- Master’s Program- R100 000
- Doctoral Program- R120 000
The bursary amount may be revised due to the inflation cost each year at the discretion of Rhodes University. The bursary is granted only for one academic year at a time and the renewal of the bursary for the consequent year depends on the academic performance of the student.
Students who wish to receive the bursary are required to meet the following eligibility criteria set by the University. Failure to meet the requirements can lead to the rejection of their application.
- Students must be South African citizens
- One must be 26 years or younger at the beginning of the year 2022.
- Students must be willing to study towards a full-time Honors, Masters, or Doctoral qualification
- Students can choose any field of study. However, preference will be given to the field of Science
- Only financially weak students will be considered
- One must showcase excellent academic performance
- Students must be studying or willing to study at the Rhodes University
How to apply?
Students must complete the Ada & Bertie Levenstein bursary online application form and fill in the required details correctly. The following documents are also required to be submitted along with the form to complete the application.
- Certified ID document
- Academic CV
- A short motivational letter
- Latest and full academic records on the institute’s letterhead
- A brief research proposal to be submitted by Masters and Ph.D. students
- Parents proof of income
- Masters and Ph.D. students should also submit progress reports from the supervisor
- Support letter from the concerned Department (for new RU students)
- Assessment of the shortlisted candidates will be done by a committee
- Students may have to attend an interview before the final selection is made
- Accepted candidates are required to attend all the examinations, coursework, and thesis for their field of study
- Students are also expected to look into the publication of novel projects and publish their research findings of the work done during the bursary period with acknowledgment of the support received from the Ada & Bertie Levenstein Program
- Applications must be submitted to: email@example.com
- The email subject line should be “Ada & Bertie Levenstein Bursary Application”
The last date of application is 11 October 2021
If you have any questions regarding the bursary then you can contact on the following:
Postgraduate Funding Office
Phone: 046 603 8755
Please do NOT contact Rhodes University if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/