About North-West University
The North-West University was established on January 1, 2004 as part of South Africa’s efforts to improve higher education. The university was formed by the merger of the University of North-West, Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education, and the Sebokeng Campus of Black University, Vista.
NWU’s goal is to become a prestigious and respected institution across Africa, recognized for its focus on engaged scholarship, social awareness, and a caring ethos. The university strives to excel in innovative research and teaching while making a positive impact on society through knowledge sharing.
NWU values the development of a community of staff members and students who are committed, compassionate, and guided by the ideals of freedom, equality, and human dignity outlined in the constitution.
NWU Master’s and Doctoral Bursaries 2023
The North-West University’s Postgraduate and Doctoral Bursary Program aims to support outstanding postgraduate and doctoral students who do not have the financial resources to fund their education. The scholarship also aims to honor students who have excelled in their academic studies. The program aligns with the university’s overall goals and objectives, as outlined in its institutional plan.
The NWU Master’s Bursary is a great opportunity for students pursuing a full master’s degree. The bursary is available only to full-time students who receive a yearly award of R28,800 and working students are considered part-time students and shall receive a yearly award of R14,400.
The bursary is valid for two years only and offers a total bursary value of R57,600 over the two years and half of the same amount for part-time students.
To qualify, applicants must have achieved a minimum average of 60% in all modules or subjects during their preceding completed Honours degree or postgraduate course. Second-year students must apply for the Master’s Progress Bursary.
North-West University is offering a Doctoral Bursary to support full-time and part-time doctoral students in their academic pursuits. Full-time students will receive a bursary of R31,000.00 per year, while part-time students will receive a bursary of R15,500.00 per year.
The students are also eligible for this bursary and can receive bursaries from one or more sources with no limitations on the number of bursaries received. However, the university reserves the right to adjust or cancel the bursary if the maximum amount of R261,900.00 per annum is exceeded. The bursary is valid for three years, with a total bursary value of R93,000.0 for full-time doctoral students.
Eligibility Criteria for The Bursaries
The applicants must meet the following requirements before applying.
- Both full-time and part-time students are eligible to apply for the bursary.
- The bursary is only for students enrolling in a first-time, full prescribed postgraduate Masters or Doctoral degree program.
- Students taking occasional courses do not qualify.
- Registered students at the university will receive the Academic Merit Bursary automatically each year.
- Students from other universities can apply by providing their previous academic records.
- Applicants must have graduated Cum Laude from their previous qualifying degree.
- Working students who hold a job and receive a salary.
- Students who receive bursaries from organizations such as the National Research Foundation (NRF), SETA, and other external institutions.
How To Apply?
Steps to Apply for the 2023 NWU Bursary:
- Fill out the online application form:
- Complete all fields: All fields on the application form are mandatory and must be filled out with care and accuracy. Incomplete applications are invalid and may result in the rejection of your application.
- Read the Instant Info: Before starting the application process, it is advisable to read the Instant Info with conditions for qualification.
- No Application for NWU Students: NWU students do not need to apply online. The bursary is automatically calculated and awarded to students who meet the required conditions.
Requirements for Students from Other Universities:
- Include Academic Record: Students from another university must include an academic record of their previous degree.
- Avoid Just Certificates: Simply providing certificates alone is not enough. Applicants must provide an academic record to avoid disqualification.
The deadline for submitting the bursary application is 31 March 2023.
Late Applications Accepted with Approval: In case applicants are unable to meet the deadline, they can still submit late applications with written approval from the faculty.
Students can direct their questions to the campus where they have registered.
Phone: 018 389 2516/2646/2372
Private Bag X2046, Mmabatho, 2735 Building AF2, Room G07.
Phone: 018 26666/7/8/9
Private Bag X6001, Potchefstroom, 2520 Building F1, ground floor, 6-12 enquiry desks.
Phone: 016 910 3157/3134
PO Box 1174, Vanderbijlpark, 1900 Building A1.
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/