About Rhodes University and Guy Butler
Rhodes University is one of the oldest universities in South Africa, having been founded in 1904. Though a small university compared to others in the country, it has world-class academic standards.
RU is one of the four universities in Eastern Cape province. Close to 8,000 students graduate every year from the university.
Guy Butler was a South African poet and playwright. Born in the UK and studied at the University of Oxford, he joined Rhodes University. Later, he headed the English faculty from 1953 to 1978.
Rhodes University: Guy Butler Research Award 2022
The Guy Butler Research Award Scholarship offered by Rhodes University is named after Guy Butler to honor him for his contributions in the field of linguistics.
And the scholarship is meant for students involved in English language, literature, and linguistics. For the academic year 2022, the Guy Butler Research Award scholarship will be awarded to students pursuing postgraduate studies, which includes the Honours, Masters, or PhD degrees.
For the research component, the students have to be involved in one of the following fields:
- English Literature
- English Language
- South African English Drama
- South African Journalism in English
- Cultural Studies (with a focus on English subjects)
- English bilingualism (as an additional language)
The value of the scholarship depends on the level of study. Here’s the structure you need to follow:
- R 80,000 for Honours students
- R 90,000 for Masters students
- R 100,000 for Doctoral students
The scholarships can be renewed for the next year based on satisfactory academic performance. Students pursuing Masters can renew it for an additional year, while Doctoral students can renew it for two years.
To select the students for the scholarships, Rhodes University has laid out certain eligibility criteria. Any one applying for the scholarship must meet all of them. Failing to do will result in the cancellation of your application. Therefore, always cross-check before applying.
Eligibility requirements for the Rhodes University: Guy Butler Research Award Scholarship are:
- Must have an excellent academic track record with a minimum result of 70%
- Must be willing to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree at the Rhodes University
- Must be ready to conduct research in one of the aforementioned fields of study
Fulfilling all the eligibility requirements, however, doesn’t guarantee to fund. Preference is given to those with a stronger academic result. It also depends on the number of scholarships available for that calendar year. The list published by the university will be considered final.
How to Apply?
Students meeting all the criteria should move forward with the application process. The process is short and simple, and it should take less than an hour. But it’s important to be diligent throughout the process and not rush through it.
The first step is to download and complete the Rhodes University: Guy Butler Research Award Scholarship Application Form. The form is in the DOCX format, and you’d need a Word Processor to open and complete it.
You need to complete all of the sections by providing accurate information. Read the instructions clearly before answering.
The next step is to prepare the documents necessary for the scholarship. These are required to verify the information provided by you and further process your application. The documents needed for the scholarship are:
- ID documents (certified copies)
- Full academic transcripts to date
- A brief description of your proposed research (this has to be discussed with your prospective supervisor at the university)
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (must include at least three academic references along with their contact information)
- A motivation letter to support your application
- Proof of admission and acceptance at Rhodes University or a letter of support issued by the Department
- Letter of deferment of study (for students currently employed or receiving other bursaries/scholarships)
Scan all of the documents.
Finally, send the scanned documents and the application to email@example.com. For the subject line, insert “Guy Butler Research Application“.
The last date to apply for the scholarship is 11 October 2021. Late submission will be considered ineligible.
For more details, contact the RU postgraduate funding office at:
- Telephone – 046 603 8755
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do NOT contact Rhodes University if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/