The South African Association for Food Science and Technology (SAAFoST) is a non-profit organisation established with the vision of – advancing food science technology, providing opportunities for professional development and spreading and gaining knowledge on scientific information related to food. SAAFoST achieves these goals by partaking in research and producing award-winning research papers and journals. Alongside this, SAAFoST also organises regular workshops with guest speakers who are well established in the food science and technology field and informative exhibitions.
SAAFoST has a membership system and accepts both professionals like food scientists and graduate and undergraduate students who are taking courses in the Food Science and Technology fields only. As of now, the association has over 2000 members throughout South Africa.
SAAFosT Aubrey Parsons Study Grant 2022
SAAFoST provides bursaries for students in the field of Food Science and Technology field. One such bursary is the Aubrey Parsons Study Grant, established in 1986. This grant is one of the bursaries of SAAFoST given through university departments. The eligible list of universities and departments for the year 2022 are as follows:
The Department of Food Science:
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of Venda
- University of Pretoria
- University of Free State
The Department of Food Technology:
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Tshwane University of Technology
- Durban University of Technology
- University of Johannesburg
This grant is only applicable to the students doing B-Tech or enrolled in B.Sc. Honours programs at any of the above universities, in a course related to food science and technology.
The students applying must be in the last semester of their final year of undergraduate education at the approved institutions listed above and must have exceptional performance.
What does the grant offer?
The SAAFoST Aubrey Parsons Study Grant offers 20,000 R per selected student. The value of the award will remain constant irrespective of the number of years a student takes to complete their course, be it three years or four years. The amount will only be released in the last semester of the final year and will directly be deposited in the respective university’s bank account.
Eligibility Criteria For The SAAFosT Aubrey Parsons Study Grant
The applicants must satisfy the following criteria to be deemed eligible to be awarded the SAAFoST Aubrey Parsons Study Grant:
- The applicant must be a student member of SAAFoST for at least 12 months before applying.
- The applicant must have scored at least 70% in their previous years of education at the concerned university.
- The applicant must be a full-time student at one of the listed universities and majoring in any of the Food Science and technology courses.
How to apply?
You can download the nomination or application form from the official SAAFosT either in Adobe PDF or MS Word.
It is important to note that students cannot apply for this grant by themselves. The department head of each of the above-listed institutions must nominate one single student based on:
- The students’ academic excellence
- The student’s financial need
These are some things to keep in mind while applying:
- Only one student per university can be nominated for the Aubrey Parsons Study Grant by a department head.
- After the student is nominated, SAAFoST will go through all the submitted applications and give their final decision on the students awarded the grant.
- The nominations must reach the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer ‘’Irene Burke’’ at her e-mail – email@example.com by 15 April 2022.
The primary documents required to apply for the SAAFoST Aubrey Parsons Study Grant are:
- Proof of being a student member of the SAAFoST for at least 12 months before application.
- The nominee’s academic record for all the years preceding the application for the grant.
- Proof of being a full-time student at an institution approved by SAAFoST.
You must enclose the above documents with the application or nomination form. Applications submitted without completely filling the nomination form or the necessary documents won’t be considered eligible.
Closing Date Of The SAAFosT Aubrey Parsons Study Grant
The last date to submit the application form to the SAAFoST Membership Development Officer by 15 April 2022 after which no requests will be accepted.
Contact Details Of The Bursar
If you have any further questions regarding the SAAFoST Aubrey Parsons Study Grant, you can contact:
Membership Development Officer, SAAFoST
Tel: 071 870 2633
If the bursary has already been closed, please do not make any queries. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly like us on Facebook & follow us on @AllBursariesSA Twitter account OR leave a comment below for further inquiries.
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on January 3, 2022)