About Stellenbosch University
Stellenbosch University, situated in Stellenbosch within South Africa’s Western Cape province, is a renowned public research institution.
The Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciences (GEM) at Stellenbosch University, operational since January 2014, oversees a comprehensive residential doctoral program spanning academic disciplines in the Faculty of Economics and Management Sciences.
GEM’s core objectives encompass furnishing structured programs for full-time residential doctoral education across all faculty departments, boosting the count of PhD graduates, enhancing accessibility to economic and management sciences doctoral education, and perpetually advancing supportive frameworks for PhD studies within the faculty.
Stellenbosch University GEM Scholarship 2024
Stellenbosch University’s Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciences (GEM) has opened applications for its 2024 academic year scholarship program.
The scholarship supports PhD studies at the Stellenbosch University Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciences, spanning a three-year program aligned with any of the Faculty’s Research Themes.
Scholarship values to be granted are as follows:
- GEM Elite Doctoral Scholarships: R200,000 per year for three years
- GEM Doctoral Scholarships: R150,000 per year for three years
Candidates shortlisted will be contacted by October 16, 2023. If no communication is received by then, consider the application unsuccessful.
The final scholarship awards rest with the Graduate School governing board and depend on fund availability and suitable supervisor appointments.
Prior to applying, applicants must fulfill the subsequent minimum entry prerequisites. Please note that an inability to meet all the criteria will result in your application being ineligible for consideration:
- South African citizenship or foreign nationality (Priority given to historically disadvantaged South African citizens).
- Fulfill the stipulated criteria for admission to a PhD program at Stellenbosch University (Completion of a master’s degree in the relevant field).
- Commitment to pursuing a full-time three-year doctoral qualification aligned with the Faculty’s Research Themes.
- Preparedness to commence studies at Stellenbosch University on January 15, 2024.
- GEM Doctoral Scholarship Applicants: Attainment of a minimum score of 65% in your master’s programs.
- GEM Elite Doctoral Scholarship Applicants: Attainment of a minimum score of 70% in your master’s program.
How to Apply?
To apply, you need to download the Stellenbosch University GEM Scholarship Application 2024 (.docx) and complete it.
You must submit the application through email by emailing it to: GEM@sun.ac.za
Write “GEM Scholarship Application” in your email subject line.
Ensure you submit authenticated copies of the following essential supporting documents alongside your application. Note that these documents are mandatory; any missing any document could result in the disqualification of your application:
- Certified copy of your ID document.
- Certified copy of your passport’s photo page (in case of an international student).
- Certified copies of diploma/degree certificates and official study records (transcripts) from all prior and ongoing tertiary studies are required.
- A concise motivation letter (maximum 1 page) explaining your suitability for the scholarship. Complete this on the application form.
- Documentation demonstrating your English competency (qualifications from English-language instructional tertiary institutions or English language proficiency proof). The proof should not be older than 24 months.
- A research concept note outlining the topic you intend to investigate during your doctoral studies. This must be completed on the application form.
- Three academic references endorsing your potential for completing a doctoral study program. These references must be emailed directly to GEM@sun.ac.za by August 15, 2023.
The application deadline is 15 August 2023. Applications received after this deadline will not be entertained. Kindly submit your application prior to the closing date to ensure its consideration.
For any inquiries regarding this scholarship program, kindly reach out directly to Stellenbosch University:
Graduate School of Economic and Management Sciences
Email Id: GEM@sun.ac.za
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: http://allbursaries.co.za/notice/