The foundation of the University of Free State was laid down in 1904 under the name of Grey College with 6 students. It is a multi-campus and progressive university that is student-centered and research-led. This University is a non-profit higher education institution located in Bloemfontein city.
The vision of this University is to contribute towards the development and social justice and is highly focused on making a positive social impact. By following its vision, the University aims to achieve multiple goals which include improving the students’ overall well-being and success, transforming the curriculum, supporting the cause of social justice and development through its scholarship programs, contributing more towards knowledge at multiple levels, achieving financial stability, etc.
About the UFS HEHD Doctoral Scholarship Program
The University of Free State is inviting applications from passionate and talented students for the doctoral scholarship. Both international and South African students who wish to pursue an academic qualification in higher education studies or higher education and development can benefit from this scholarship.
Ideal doctoral students for this scholarship will be those who have researched in education and development, higher education studies, or related fields like sociology, philosophy, and politics in Honors or Master’s degree, and the field of education and development.
The following areas of research are covered for the year 2022 but not limited to:
- University and communication collaborations
- Inclusion/exclusion in African Higher Education
- Educational Technology in Higher Education
- Participatory methods in Higher Education Research
- Refugees in Higher Education
- International Student Mobility
- Private higher education in Africa-comparative perspectives
The scholarship will be granted for 3 years and only 2 students will be selected based on their performance for title registration for the doctoral study.
The scholarship value is R180 000 per year with an extra amount of R30 000 for expenses related to research. The scholarship will be granted to students who put up and maintain satisfactory academic performance.
It is important to note that the registration fees will be deducted annually.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Foreign and South African students who wish to apply for the scholarship are required to meet the following eligibility criteria. Non-fulfillment of the criteria will lead to the rejection of the applications.
- Students must be South African students or foreign nationals
- One must intend to study full-time at the University of Free States in 2022
- Students must graduate with a Master’s degree in the relevant discipline
- One must have graduated within the last 5 years
- The graduation score must be a minimum aggregate of 70%
- Students must not be employed full-time elsewhere and should not take any full-time employment during the tenure of the scholarship
- Students must be willing to relocate at the UFS for the duration of the scholarship
Language Requirements: Those students who don’t have English as their first language are required to show that their English language skills are good enough to succeed in their studies.
How to apply?
If candidates fulfill all the eligibility criteria mentioned above then they may submit copies of the following documents. Students can submit their documents via email to Dr. Faith Mkwananzi at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line “Doctoral Scholarship HEHD”.
- Certified copy of ID document (South African students)
- Certified passport copy (foreign nationals)
- Complete academic transcript on institution letterhead
- Motivational letter convincing why you deserve the scholarship
- SAQA verification certificate
- Certified copy of Master’s degree
- A Pdf copy of Masters Thesis
- Students should attach the CV along with their research publications, grants received, and conference papers
- A 6-10 page outline of the students proposed doctoral research including the aim, research questions, methods, preliminary literature review
- Contact details of 2 academic referees who have taught or supervised the candidate
Successful candidates will do the following:
- Undertake doctoral research on human development and higher education.
- Register and work as a full-time doctoral research fellow at the USF. They are also required to participate in Higher Education and Human Development Research Program (HEHD) activities and the School of Post Graduates Studies.
The last date of application is 29 October 2021
For queries and information related to the scholarship, students can contact on the following details.
Email: email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org
Bloemfontein campus- 051 401 9111
Qwaqwa campus- 058 718 5000
South Campus- 051 401 9111
Please do NOT contact the University of Free State (UFS) if this scholarship has already closed. View our other bursaries and scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/