About the University of Kwazulu-Natal
In 2004, the University of KwaZulu-Natal merged with Durban-Westville University to become the University of KwaZulu-Natal. In total, there are five main campuses of the University of KwaZulu-Natal, including Edgewood, Medical School, Howard College, Westville, and Pietermaritzburg. Several colleges are located on the University’s campuses, specialising in different trades and disciplines.
The vision and mission of the University of KwaZulu-Natal are to serve as the premier African University and to be an innovative, engaged with society, and entrepreneurship-based institution that promotes academic excellence and research.
UKZN Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Scholarship 2023
The Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Educational Award is being offered by the University of KwaZulu-Natal. Scholarships are available to Honours degree holders at UKZN (in ANY field) planning to pursue graduate studies.
The Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Scholarship award is named in honor of Archbishop Hurley, who was committed to the ethical vision, cooperative community development, and community cooperation.
The following requirements must be met by applicants before they can apply (please note that if you do not meet all the requirements, your application will not be considered):
- You must be enrolled in the University of KwaZulu-Natal for an honours degree
- Studying for a Masters’s or PhD must be a goal of yours
- Previously disadvantaged individuals must apply
- It is essential that you have a solid academic record
- To be a successful leader, you must possess exceptional leadership qualities
- A vision of society that is ethical is essential
- Volunteering in the community is essential
- You must be willing to pursue a career in university or community-academic service
How to apply?
Applicants need to download the UKZN Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Scholarship Application Form 2023 and complete it.
Along with your completed application form, you must submit the following supporting documentation (all documentation must be submitted – applications with missing documents will be disqualified):
- CV with detailed information (maximum of 5 pages)
- Degree received most recently
- Transcript of academic record
- Your leadership/community involvement in at least one referee report
- (maximum 3 pages) An outline of your dissertation proposal OR a description of your chosen research topic
- Describe why you are deserving of this scholarship in a motivational letter (1 page)
To apply for financial aid, you must contact the Financial Aid Advisor at your college:
College of Agriculture and Engineering Sciences:
- Howard campus: (Contact details: Contact details: Mr Gerald Naicker, email Id: Naickerge@ukzn.ac.za / Ms Linda Mdunge, email Id: Mdungel@ukzn.ac.za)
- Pietermaritzburg campus (Contact details: Heather Singh, email Id: Singhh@ukzn.ac.za / Contact details: Ms Marcia Ntamote, email Id: NtamoteM@ukzn.ac.za)
- Westville campus: (Contact details: Lindiwe Kumalo, email Id: Kumalo@ukzn.ac.za / Contact details: Mr Mbongiseni Mkhize, email Id: Mkhizemb@ukzn.ac.za)
The College of Health Sciences:
- Howard and Medical School campus: (Contact details: Mr Bongumusa Gumbi, email Id: Gumbib5@ukzn.ac.za)
- Westville campus: (Contact details: Mr Jainendra Maharajh, email Id: Maharajhj1@ukzn.ac.za)
College of Humanities:
- (All campuses, email Id: CHUMBursaryApp@ukzn.ac.za)
The College of Law and Management Studies:
- Westville campus: (Contact details: Bongamusa Gasa, email Id: Gasa@ukzn.ac.za / Contact details: Mrs Merci Rajkumar, email Id: Rajkumarma@ukzn.ac.za)
- Pietermaritzburg campus (Contact details: Mr Sandile Mngadi, email Id: Ndimandes1@ukzn.ac.za)
- Howard College (Contact details: Ms Nosipho Mkhize, email Id: MkhizeN5@ukzn.ac.za)
Note: In the email subject line, write “UKZN Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Scholarship Application 2023“.
The application deadline is 20 March 2023. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered – you must submit your application before the deadline to be considered.
If you have any questions about this scholarship program, feel free to contact the Financial Aid Advisor at your relevant college at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (see above for contact information).
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/