UKZN or the University of KwaZulu-Natal is a leading public university in South Africa with five campuses in the KwaZulu-Natal province.
The university came into existence in 2004 following the merger of the University of Natal and the University of Durban-Westville. Now the university has four main colleges under it, which are:
- College of Agriculture, Engineering, and Sciences (AES)
- College of Law and Management
- College of Humanities
- College of Health Sciences
The university is research-oriented and has state-of-the-art facilities for researchers in various disciplines. It also offers grants and financial assistance to students who want to take up research professionally. The Doctoral Research Scholarship programme is one of them.
UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarships 2022
The University of KwaZulu-Natal is inviting students to apply for the Doctoral Research Scholarship programme. It is meant for doctoral students who intend to study at the university. As part of the research group, they will be furthering the university’s mission, which is to be a leader in research.
For the academic session 2022-23, the Doctoral research scholarships will be awarded to students pursuing a Doctoral Research qualification at any of the four colleges under it. There are only four scholarships on offer – one at each college.
Initially, the scholarship will be awarded for one academic year. The university may extend it to two additional years based on the evaluation and satisfactory performance.
The university will decide the bursary value on a case-by-case basis. For the subsequent years, it will re-evaluate the amount too. So it will change from year to year. Shortlisted candidates will get more information regarding this via email.
Eligibility Criteria For The UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarships
There are specific eligibility criteria laid out for the UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarship programme. Everyone applying for the funding must fulfill all of the criteria. Since there are a limited number of scholarships on offer, it cannot award everyone. Therefore, always cross-check before applying to avoid rejection.
The eligibility requirements for UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarships 2022 are:
- Pursuing a doctoral qualification in 2022-23
- Enrolled in a full-time programme and not part-time
- Studying at the University of KwaZulu-Natal at one of the four colleges
- The research proposal must have been accepted by the Higher Degree Committee of the college (must submit minute confirmation along with the application) (those who have not yet submitted the doctoral thesis for examination are not eligible for the scholarship programme)
- Have been ranked in the top 5% in these attributes (as evaluated by Heads/Leaders in reasoned arguments and conversations):
- intellectual strength
- research aptitude
- Preferably have their work published in leading journals
This is a merit-based scholarship programme. Students with a better academic track record or a more valuable research proposal will get priority over others. The decision taken by the selection committee will be considered final.
How to Apply For The UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarships?
If you’re interested in the UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarship programme and require funding, consider applying for it. You need to go through a short application process to submit your candidature. The university will review all the applications and select the most deserving candidates.
To get started with the application process, download and complete UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarship application form . Open the document in a Word Processor and begin completing the form. Provide your personal information, contact details, academic details, and work experience, if any.
You need to submit the following documents:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae (do not include copies of certificates)
- A summary of your research proposal (specify the nature, scope, and purpose of the research, what it intends to solve, the methodology, availability of data, and other relevant resources) (do not exceed three pages)
- Full academic transcripts issued by the previous tertiary institution you studied at
- Reference letters from authority figures who are familiar with your work
Scan the documents and save them in PDF format.
Lastly, email the application form and the documents to:
- College of Agriculture, Engineering, and Sciences (AES) – RadebeM3@ukzn.ac.za
- College of Law and Management – SitholeA3@ukzn.ac.za
- College of Humanities – email@example.com
- College of Health Sciences – Mullerc2@ukzn.ac.za
For the subject line, insert ‘UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarship Application 2022’.
Closing Date Of The UKZN Doctoral Research Scholarships
The last date of application is 15 March 2022.
For more details regarding the scholarship programme, contact KwaZulu-Natal University at their Contact Us page.
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other Scholarships/bursaries open for application here: http://allbursaries.co.za/notice/