About the University of Cape town
The University of Cape Town is located in the Western Cape province in South Africa. It is a public research university and was founded in 1829. It is the oldest institute of higher education in South Africa. They believe in improving the quality of life of their students and staff through high-quality education at a global level. It is a research drive institute that promotes innovation and discovery.
University Of Cape Town Mastercard Foundation Scholarship 2023
The MasterCard scholarship is a means to find the leaders of the next generation. It provides talented but economically deficient students with high-quality education and mentorship to help them grow in their careers.
The scholarship offers the following benefits:
- Cost of tuition and international student fees.
- Cost of air travel through the economy class.
- Cost of accommodation and visa applications.
- Medical support.
- Cost of study materials.
- Education from a recognised institution.
- Mentorship and guidance to help the student progress.
- Opportunities for employment and internships within Africa.
- Guidance and support for career.
- Personality development and building leadership qualities.
- Additional assistance through alumni networks.
- Assistance with challenges faced during university.
Eligibility Criteria For The Scholarship
All the mentioned criteria must be fulfilled before moving forward with the application.
- The candidate must be exceptional in academics and career-driven.
- The candidates must be in financial need.
- The candidates must be devoted to their community and use the education for its growth and development.
- The candidate must be a Sub- Saharan citizen or resident.
- The candidate must be pursuing studies at the undergraduate or postgraduate level. A Master’s is only applicable for the research.
- The candidate must be applying for studies in any of the following studies at the University of Cape Town.
- Engineering and built environment
- Health sciences
- Law or Sciences
- The candidates must be enrolled at the University of Cape Town before applying for the scholarship.
- The candidate must have a minimum score of 60% in honours or hold an equivalent degree to apply for a master’s.
- First-generation candidates will be given preference.
How to Apply For The Scholarship?
The application process for Undergraduates is as follows:
- The applicant must secure a place at the University of Cape Town as a student. Click here to apply to UCT.
- Students must go through the prospectus and choose a suitable course for themselves at UCT.
- Make sure that all the required documents are available and should be uploaded as individual documents in the application form.
- Submitted applications cannot be changed and selected students will be asked to submit original documents as well.
- Applicants must keep a track of their application form. Click here to check.
- After completing the academic application and getting a place, the candidate should move forward with the scholarship.
- Click on the apply button on the homepage.
- Make sure you agree with the terms and conditions and read them thoroughly.
- Make a profile on the site of Mastercard Foundation Scholars. Only the applications submitted through the official site will be considered. Click here to log in/signup.
- Complete the eligibility quiz after the login by clicking here.
- Download the affidavit and complete the form. Make sure you answer all the questions correctly and in presence of two witnesses (one should be the commissioner of oaths) under oath. There should be the signature of the commissioner of oaths with the applicant’s stamp.
- Upload all the necessary documents and sign the declaration.
- Add the details of two academic referees of tertiary or secondary level education.
The same procedure applies to postgraduate applicants as well.
All the mentioned documents must be uploaded with the application form to avoid rejection of the application.
- Certified copies of ID documents.
- Passport details and the passport must have a validity of up to 30 days post the end of the recommended stay. It should have at least one blank page and should not be endorsed or extended.
- Proof of enrollment at the UCT.
- Certificate of police clearance.
- Certificate of medical clearance.
- Certificate of vaccination for yellow fever (applicable for endemic area students).
- Accommodation proof arranged by The Mastercard Foundation.
- For candidates under the age of 21, a guardian will be provided and consent proof from parents is needed.
- Medical cover proof.
- Proof of funding that should be able to cover tuition and maintenance costs.
The above information applies to international students and along with it below mentioned documents must be submitted as well:
- Address proof.
- Academic transcripts and records.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Certificates of degree.
- Affidavit declaration.
Closing Date Of The Scholarship
The applications will be closed on 25 September 2022. All the applications must be submitted by then or the application will be rejected.
For postgraduate applicants, the deadline will be 30 April 2022.
For any queries regarding the scholarship, please contact:
Recruitment and Peer Mentor officer
Program coordinator at:
Telephone: +27 (0) 21 650 5923/ 3601
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/