Having educated youth in the nation brings about unparalleled success and prosperity. It is thus essential to provide all the necessary assistance to passionate students and help them to achieve their academic goals.
South African Universities and institutions provide bursaries to deserving students and help them to pursue their education.
About W&RSETA & University of Johannesburg
The Wholesale and Retail Sector Education and Training Authority came into existence in the year 2000. It was founded as per the Skills Development Act to develop skills in the Wholesale and Retail sector by taking various measures. The institution undertakes learning program implementation, provides grants, and oversees the education and training outlined in the National Skills Development Plan (NSDP).
The W&RSETA scheme for providing grants was founded in 2011 to assist those students who wish to achieve qualifications in the retail and wholesale sectors. Through their bursary program, they aim to help the students in developing their skills, knowledge, and competencies in the field.
The UJ Department of Marketing Management forms a part of the University College of Business and Economics that offers many undergraduate diplomas and degrees, postgraduate degrees, and courses in the field of Marketing and Retail.
W&RSETA UJ Bursary 2024
The University of Johannesburg and the W&RSETA have come together to host the W&RSETA bursary program for students who wish to pursue a career in the wholesale and retail sectors at the University of Johannesburg.
Students who have completed their postgraduate studies and want to proceed with Masters or Ph.D. studies or are already enrolled for a Masters or Ph.D. can apply for this bursary program.
Fields covered for the bursary:
- Retail Business management
- Retail Marketing
- Wholesale and Retail
- Wholesale Business Development
The bursary program will cover the following study expenditure on behalf of the students:
- Tuition fees
- Textbooks as prescribed
- It will also cover data collection and language editing
Bursary Eligibility Criteria
To qualify for the W&RSETA bursary program, students must fulfill the following eligibility criteria as laid down by the institution.
- Students must be citizens of South Africa or permanent residents
- Applicants must have completed their Honors degree in the field of Marketing and Retail
- One must score a minimum result of 60% in Research Methodology on NQF level 8
- Students must have enrolled or should have the intention to study for a Masters degree at the University of Johannesburg
- One must score a minimum average of 60%
- Applicants should be passionate about studying retail
- Students must possess an approved Master or Ph.D. proposal with a focus on the preferred areas above meantioned.
For Ph.D. Degree Students
The following eligibility requirements are laid down for Ph.D. applicants:
- One must have completed Masters qualification in the field of Marketing or Retail
- A minimum score of 65% should be achieved at the Masters level
- A minimum score of 60% is needed for Research Methodology on NQF level 8
- Students must be willing to study or should be enrolled for PhD at the University of Johannesburg in 2024
- Students must possess an approved Masters or Ph.D. proposal with a focus on the preferred areas
How to apply?
Students must apply online through the University of Johannesburg’s Department of Marketing Management website.
Once the application gets accepted by the DREC you can email at firstname.lastname@example.org. They will get in touch and tell you the documents required for completing the application.
Students currently studying Master or Ph.D. must download and complete the application form: W&RSETA UJ Bursary Application Form 2024 (.pdf)
Submit your completed application form, along with the list of supporting documents in point 5, via email to: email@example.com
(Insert the following in the email subject line “WRSETA Postgraduate Bursary Application – Your Full Name”.)
The following documents must be submitted along with the form:
- Certified copy of ID document/passport
- Complete academic records with marks
- CV with details of the field of study, achievements, qualification, employment status, contactable references
- Additional information like achievements and awards received, a description of your research interest, membership of national and international committees if any, etc.
- Letter of reference of academic performance
- Letter of UJ supervisor including; study progress, an overview of the study, sustainability for a bursary, formal registration for or Doctoral qualification, etc.
For current Masters and Ph.D. students: 31 July 2023.
New Masters and Ph.D. enrollments: 31 October 2022.
For any queries related to this bursary program, please contact W&RSETA directly:
Name: Sandile Maseko
Please do NOT contact UJ/RSETA if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/